Doesn't "ofaal" replace this?

by hiith
December 5, 2014

Gaav

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014

@Vilost, this is a word that functions as both an adjective ("available") and a noun ("availability"). There are many words like this.

@Zogrit/Grit, I don't quite remember but I think they make sense to add.

@Aax, it could be effectively replaced by ahraan since ahraan is also a verb.

@Dovahzulaan, fixed.

@Nivzah, changed to nizah.

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014

@Vilost, this is a word that functions as both an adjective ("available") and a noun ("availability"). There are many words like this.

@Zogrit/Grit, I don't quite remember but I think they make sense to add.

@Aax, it could be effectively replaced by ahraan since ahraan is also a verb.

@Dovahzulaan, fixed.

@Nivzah, changed to nizah.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014
hiith

Gaav

Potentially. There are three similar words in the mix right now: canon ofaal "to receive," non-canon gaav "to get," and non-canon rim "to obtain/acquire."

My vote would be to delete rim and further expand the definition of gaav. I think gaav and ofaal are different enough: "to get" and "to obtain" mean to gain something without necessarily receiving it from someone else.

We could also say it's such a minute difference that we should expand the definition of ofaal instead.

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014
hiith

Gaav

Potentially. There are three similar words in the mix right now: canon ofaal "to receive," non-canon gaav "to get," and non-canon rim "to obtain/acquire."

My vote would be to delete rim and further expand the definition of gaav. I think gaav and ofaal are different enough: "to get" and "to obtain" mean to gain something without necessarily receiving it from someone else.

We could also say it's such a minute difference that we should expand the definition of ofaal instead.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014

A very common issue I come across when reviewing word submissions is in compound words that use either "small" or "large." People always go for the non-canon pus and saak because those are the literal translations listed in the dictionary. I always change the words to use the canon mal and lot instead. Should we remove pus and saak, or should we keep them for the sake of variety, and I could list mal and lot as the primary translations for "small" and "large"? That way people who aren't as familiar with the language will use those in their compound words instead.

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014

A very common issue I come across when reviewing word submissions is in compound words that use either "small" or "large." People always go for the non-canon pus and saak because those are the literal translations listed in the dictionary. I always change the words to use the canon mal and lot instead. Should we remove pus and saak, or should we keep them for the sake of variety, and I could list mal and lot as the primary translations for "small" and "large"? That way people who aren't as familiar with the language will use those in their compound words instead.

Foduiiz
December 5, 2014
paarthurnax

I agree. I feel we need some sort of alternate translations section that justly defines canon words in ways that differ from, but are not to be confused with nor contradictary to, Bethesda's translations. Mal and lot are ideal examples. Kind of like your thesaurus but embedded in the site's dictionary and translator. 

by Foduiiz
December 5, 2014
paarthurnax

I agree. I feel we need some sort of alternate translations section that justly defines canon words in ways that differ from, but are not to be confused with nor contradictary to, Bethesda's translations. Mal and lot are ideal examples. Kind of like your thesaurus but embedded in the site's dictionary and translator. 

hiith
December 5, 2014
paarthurnax

You raise a good point. I believe that there is enough difference, because of the word "get". If you wanted to say something like "get over here" or "I got embarassed", then the other definitions wouldn't make sense there. So I say that we keep gaav and merge the other two. I believe that if something says "obtain", then "recieve" would also make sense in its stead.

But, in truth, I found it hard to memerise the word gaav because it sounds too much like gave and I was eager to get rid of it.

by hiith
December 5, 2014
paarthurnax

You raise a good point. I believe that there is enough difference, because of the word "get". If you wanted to say something like "get over here" or "I got embarassed", then the other definitions wouldn't make sense there. So I say that we keep gaav and merge the other two. I believe that if something says "obtain", then "recieve" would also make sense in its stead.

But, in truth, I found it hard to memerise the word gaav because it sounds too much like gave and I was eager to get rid of it.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014

I understand the confusion. We can certainly change gaav then. Maybe to gaad, giit, giin, or something like that.

Something else to keep in mind is that this word means "to obtain" rather than "to become," which it means in the examples you give ("I got embarrased" vs. "I became embarrassed").

Maybe there's an opportunity here for a new phrase. If you wanted to say "I got angry," you could say zu'u meyz rahgron  "I became angry" or zu'u gaav rahgot "I got anger."

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014

I understand the confusion. We can certainly change gaav then. Maybe to gaad, giit, giin, or something like that.

Something else to keep in mind is that this word means "to obtain" rather than "to become," which it means in the examples you give ("I got embarrased" vs. "I became embarrassed").

Maybe there's an opportunity here for a new phrase. If you wanted to say "I got angry," you could say zu'u meyz rahgron  "I became angry" or zu'u gaav rahgot "I got anger."

DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

Meyar-Ahraan

Could this also mean 'masochism'?

by DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

Meyar-Ahraan

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Meyar-Ahraan

I don't think so. Meyar-Ahraan would mean "to wound yourself," whereas "masochism" is taking pleasure from pain, not necessarily self-inflicted.

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Meyar-Ahraan

I don't think so. Meyar-Ahraan would mean "to wound yourself," whereas "masochism" is taking pleasure from pain, not necessarily self-inflicted.

DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

Masochism, fair point, but they do cross and Masochists often self-inflict 

by DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

They are related terms, sure, in the same way that "fire" and "pyromaniac" are related.

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

They are related terms, sure, in the same way that "fire" and "pyromaniac" are related.

hiith
December 5, 2014

Agreed, it seems to me that "masochism" refers instead to the enjoyment aroused from the action.

by hiith
December 5, 2014

Agreed, it seems to me that "masochism" refers instead to the enjoyment aroused from the action.

DovahKiinZaan
December 6, 2014
hiith

Masochist: Enjoys pain

Sadist: Enjoys pain of others

by DovahKiinZaan
December 6, 2014
hiith

Masochist: Enjoys pain

Sadist: Enjoys pain of others

hiith
December 6, 2014
paarthurnax

It seems best, to me, to split these definitions between "ofaal" and "meyz" and get rid of "gaav" and "rim"

by hiith
December 6, 2014
paarthurnax

It seems best, to me, to split these definitions between "ofaal" and "meyz" and get rid of "gaav" and "rim"

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 6, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

I agree, that seems best.

by paarthurnax
December 6, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

I agree, that seems best.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.