A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  88  89  90  91  92  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 5, 2015

Fahvos "why" has now been edited to druv. The companion fahlos "therefore" has also been edited to drus. A redundant word in thuz "thus" was deleted.

by paarthurnax
July 5, 2015

Fahvos "why" has now been edited to druv. The companion fahlos "therefore" has also been edited to drus. A redundant word in thuz "thus" was deleted.

Liis
Administrator
July 5, 2015

Povaar

Redundant to Yu/Yeh?

by Liis
July 5, 2015

Povaar

Redundant to Yu/Yeh?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 5, 2015
Liis

Povaar

Redundant to Yu/Yeh?

Possibly, that depends if we say yu and yeh can be used as nouns or if they're strictly adverbs. Given their spelling, I'm inclined to say they're strictly adverbs, but a new word for "excess" could derive from yu, and possibly a new/separate word for "lack / to lack".

by paarthurnax
July 5, 2015
Liis

Povaar

Redundant to Yu/Yeh?

Possibly, that depends if we say yu and yeh can be used as nouns or if they're strictly adverbs. Given their spelling, I'm inclined to say they're strictly adverbs, but a new word for "excess" could derive from yu, and possibly a new/separate word for "lack / to lack".

Liis
Administrator
July 5, 2015

*facepalm* I didn't even notice that Povaar was a noun...

I think revising the word to the root of Yu is a good idea. I feel that it should be Yu_aak.
Yutaak, yuvaak, yulaak, yuraak (teehee on the pronunciation), yupaak, yubaak, etc.?

by Liis
July 5, 2015

*facepalm* I didn't even notice that Povaar was a noun...

I think revising the word to the root of Yu is a good idea. I feel that it should be Yu_aak.
Yutaak, yuvaak, yulaak, yuraak (teehee on the pronunciation), yupaak, yubaak, etc.?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 5, 2015

How about yulos "excess / to have in excess" and yevos "lack / to lack"?

by paarthurnax
July 5, 2015

How about yulos "excess / to have in excess" and yevos "lack / to lack"?

Liis
Administrator
July 5, 2015

That sounds alright with me.

by Liis
July 5, 2015

That sounds alright with me.

Frinmulaar
July 8, 2015

Voj

This one ends with J. Does it fit within current orthography?

by Frinmulaar
July 8, 2015

Voj

This one ends with J. Does it fit within current orthography?

Liis
Administrator
July 8, 2015

@Voj,

No it does not. Seeing that "Koraavnu", "Blind" (lit. "Sightless") is based off "Koraav", "Sight", maybe Deaf could be based off "Hon", "to hear". Though Hon cannot serve as a noun and could cause problems.
Honu would be "Hearless".

by Liis
July 8, 2015

@Voj,

No it does not. Seeing that "Koraavnu", "Blind" (lit. "Sightless") is based off "Koraav", "Sight", maybe Deaf could be based off "Hon", "to hear". Though Hon cannot serve as a noun and could cause problems.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 8, 2015
Liis

@Voj,

Is there any reason hon couldn't serve as a noun? The closest English equivalent would be "hearing," in the same way koraav can also be used as the noun "sight". Honvu would then be "without hearing" (must be -vu to differentiate it from honu "our hearing").

by paarthurnax
July 8, 2015
Liis

@Voj,

Is there any reason hon couldn't serve as a noun? The closest English equivalent would be "hearing," in the same way koraav can also be used as the noun "sight". Honvu would then be "without hearing" (must be -vu to differentiate it from honu "our hearing").

Liis
Administrator
July 8, 2015

I believe it could be also "hearing". I agree with Honvu.

by Liis
July 8, 2015

I believe it could be also "hearing". I agree with Honvu.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 8, 2015

@Voj, I have now edited this to honvu, and also deleted gevoj to merge "deafen" into honvu. Thanks for pointing this one out, Freymulaar.

by paarthurnax
July 8, 2015

@Voj, I have now edited this to honvu, and also deleted gevoj to merge "deafen" into honvu. Thanks for pointing this one out, Freymulaar.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 8, 2015

Kriivah

Perhaps shorten this to "Kriiv" to better fit the canon "Krivaan." Perhaps not, as this would create homonyms between "Krivaan" as "murderer" and "Krivaan" as the past participle of "Kriiv." Although, this exists in canon verbs anyhow that use "-aan" as their "doer" suffix.

by paarthurnax
July 8, 2015

Kriivah

Perhaps shorten this to "Kriiv" to better fit the canon "Krivaan." Perhaps not, as this would create homonyms between "Krivaan" as "murderer" and "Krivaan" as the past participle of "Kriiv." Although, this exists in canon verbs anyhow that use "-aan" as their "doer" suffix.

Liis
Administrator
July 8, 2015

@Kriivah,

This word is listed as canon. Did you accidentally overlook that or am I missing something?

by Liis
July 8, 2015

@Kriivah,

This word is listed as canon. Did you accidentally overlook that or am I missing something?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 8, 2015
Liis

@Kriivah,

Welp, I actually did. I suggested revising a canon word. This isn't supposed to happen!

by paarthurnax
July 8, 2015
Liis

@Kriivah,

Welp, I actually did. I suggested revising a canon word. This isn't supposed to happen!

Liis
Administrator
July 8, 2015

@paarthurnax,

*snaps fingers and points at you whilst winking* Gotchya back

by Liis
July 8, 2015

@paarthurnax,

*snaps fingers and points at you whilst winking* Gotchya back

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  88  89  90  91  92  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.