Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Liis
Administrator
June 29, 2015

Tovokei

Could this also mean Wonderful? If so, can we add that definition?

by Liis
June 29, 2015

Tovokei

Could this also mean Wonderful? If so, can we add that definition?

Liis
Administrator
June 30, 2015

Nok

Is it canon that this word means to lay and tell a falsehood?

by Liis
June 30, 2015

Nok

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 30, 2015
Liis

Nok

Yes, it is primarily used to mean "to lie down" in the Word Walls, and is used to mean "to tell a falsehood" in the Song of the Dragonborn:

Nuz aan sul, fent alok, fod fin vul dovah nok,
fen kos nahlot mahfaeraak ahrk ruz!

But a day shall arise when the dark dragon's lies
will be silenced forever and then!

by paarthurnax
June 30, 2015
Liis

Nok

Yes, it is primarily used to mean "to lie down" in the Word Walls, and is used to mean "to tell a falsehood" in the Song of the Dragonborn:

Nuz aan sul, fent alok, fod fin vul dovah nok,
fen kos nahlot mahfaeraak ahrk ruz!

But a day shall arise when the dark dragon's lies
will be silenced forever and then!

Liis
Administrator
June 30, 2015

@Nok,

That hurts me

by Liis
June 30, 2015

@Nok,

That hurts me

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 30, 2015
Liis

@Nok,

That hurts me

Yup...where possible, I would recommend using nok only to mean "to lie/lay," and use lo "to deceive," mey "fool / to fool," or mindol "to trick" for the other sense.

by paarthurnax
June 30, 2015
Liis

@Nok,

That hurts me

Yup...where possible, I would recommend using nok only to mean "to lie/lay," and use lo "to deceive," mey "fool / to fool," or mindol "to trick" for the other sense.

Liis
Administrator
July 1, 2015

Vriilus

Should this be Vriihus?

by Liis
July 1, 2015

Vriilus

Should this be Vriihus?

Liis
Administrator
July 1, 2015

Mindokah

This word is listed to mean Scientist in the dictionary, but does not list Scientist in the description. Also, perhaps the word Scientist should be rooted from the word "Mindaas", "Science".

by Liis
July 1, 2015

Mindokah

This word is listed to mean Scientist in the dictionary, but does not list Scientist in the description. Also, perhaps the word Scientist should be rooted from the word "Mindaas", "Science".

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 1, 2015
Liis

Vriilus

Should this be Vriihus?

Perhaps not, since -hus is a different and distinct suffix.

by paarthurnax
July 1, 2015
Liis

Vriilus

Should this be Vriihus?

Perhaps not, since -hus is a different and distinct suffix.

Liis
Administrator
July 1, 2015

@paarthurnax,

Can you explain the difference?

by Liis
July 1, 2015

@paarthurnax,

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 1, 2015
Liis

Mindokah

Mindokah is currently a "closest equivalent" for "scientist." The reason it's not listed in the definition is to avoid mixing modern definitions in a non-modern word. There could be a separate, modern word for "scientist."

by paarthurnax
July 1, 2015
Liis

Mindokah

Mindokah is currently a "closest equivalent" for "scientist." The reason it's not listed in the definition is to avoid mixing modern definitions in a non-modern word. There could be a separate, modern word for "scientist."

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 1, 2015
Liis

@paarthurnax,

-us is used to turn nouns into adjectives that mean "like, being, or having the qualities of." When used with a verb, it means "prone to causing something." Some canon examples:

• Od "snow" > Odus "snowy"
  • Motmah "to slip" > Motmahus "slippery"
  • Perhaps also almost Dilos "deadly," "prone to causing death"

-hus is used to turn a noun into another noun that means "the state of being something." Some canon examples:

• Zaam "slave" > Zaamhus "slavery"
  • In "master" > Inhus "mastery"

This is another unfortunate canon situation like nok where these two are essentially the same because they are (in terms of spelling) the same in English. The additional is the only phonetic distinction.

by paarthurnax
July 1, 2015
Liis

@paarthurnax,

-us is used to turn nouns into adjectives that mean "like, being, or having the qualities of." When used with a verb, it means "prone to causing something." Some canon examples:

• Od "snow" > Odus "snowy"
  • Motmah "to slip" > Motmahus "slippery"
  • Perhaps also almost Dilos "deadly," "prone to causing death"

-hus is used to turn a noun into another noun that means "the state of being something." Some canon examples:

• Zaam "slave" > Zaamhus "slavery"
  • In "master" > Inhus "mastery"

This is another unfortunate canon situation like nok where these two are essentially the same because they are (in terms of spelling) the same in English. The additional is the only phonetic distinction.

Liis
Administrator
July 1, 2015

@paarthurnax,

I think it'd be best to make a new Modern word for Scientist.

by Liis
July 1, 2015

@paarthurnax,

I think it'd be best to make a new Modern word for Scientist.

Liis
Administrator
July 1, 2015

@paarthurnax,

My only confusion is that I thought it was the alternative version of -us if the base word ended in a vowel. Silly me.

by Liis
July 1, 2015

@paarthurnax,

My only confusion is that I thought it was the alternative version of -us if the base word ended in a vowel. Silly me.

scrptrx
July 2, 2015

Oblivion

SOLELY out of curiosity, where is this in the canon literature?

by scrptrx
July 2, 2015

Oblivion

SOLELY out of curiosity, where is this in the canon literature?

Liis
Administrator
July 2, 2015

Vutharaak

I don't think this word should be, even "slightly", based on Mahfaeraak if the only reason it is is because Forever and However both end in "Ever". However and Forever, to my knowledge, are not related in any way.

by Liis
July 2, 2015

Vutharaak

I don't think this word should be, even "slightly", based on Mahfaeraak if the only reason it is is because Forever and However both end in "Ever". However and Forever, to my knowledge, are not related in any way.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.