Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Liis
Administrator
July 14, 2015

Pahkolos

Perhaps add definition "anywhere" and delete Naanstad?

by Liis
July 14, 2015

Pahkolos

Perhaps add definition "anywhere" and delete Naanstad?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 14, 2015
Liis

Nauaas

I feel like this is against common Dovahzul orthography.

Easily fixed with an extra consonant like naulaas or nauvaas.

by paarthurnax
July 14, 2015
Liis

Nauaas

I feel like this is against common Dovahzul orthography.

Easily fixed with an extra consonant like naulaas or nauvaas.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 14, 2015

@Inaak, edited this now to raak.

@Pahkolos, good idea, deleted naanstad.

by paarthurnax
July 14, 2015

@Inaak, edited this now to raak.

@Pahkolos, good idea, deleted naanstad.

Liis
Administrator
July 14, 2015

I like Nauvaas so it doesn't assume a compound of Nau and Laas.

by Liis
July 14, 2015

I like Nauvaas so it doesn't assume a compound of Nau and Laas.

Mulhahlor
July 15, 2015

Filkiir

I think a word based on Fahliil would be better here. Maybe Volgfahliil, Wild Elf?

by Mulhahlor
July 15, 2015

Filkiir

I think a word based on Fahliil would be better here. Maybe Volgfahliil, Wild Elf?

ErianDragonborn
July 16, 2015

Dirun

Since Dirun means 'deathism', perhaps 'Diroz' would be a better word? as a compound of 'Dir' and 'Vudoz', 'Death' and 'Avoid'. The origin of the word could be in avoiding death, which generalized to 'be cautious' or 'mind' (verbs) and that became a noun, 'caution'. 'Diroz' could then have the meaning of both the verb and the noun.

by ErianDragonborn
July 16, 2015

Dirun

Since Dirun means 'deathism', perhaps 'Diroz' would be a better word? as a compound of 'Dir' and 'Vudoz', 'Death' and 'Avoid'. The origin of the word could be in avoiding death, which generalized to 'be cautious' or 'mind' (verbs) and that became a noun, 'caution'. 'Diroz' could then have the meaning of both the verb and the noun.

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2015

I'm confused on how Dirun means Deathism.
Please explain?

by Liis
July 16, 2015

Please explain?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 16, 2015
Liis

Please explain?

Dir means "to die". It'd best to change dirun so that it doesn't implicate the canon word dir. Perhaps change it to waraas based on English "beware/aware," Old English "wær".

by paarthurnax
July 16, 2015
Liis

Please explain?

Dir means "to die". It'd best to change dirun so that it doesn't implicate the canon word dir. Perhaps change it to waraas based on English "beware/aware," Old English "wær".

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2015

Faant

Add definition "Vie"

by Liis
July 16, 2015

Faant

Add definition "Vie"

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2015

Hefhah

Should this be Hefah for consistency with Hefahus?

by Liis
July 16, 2015

Hefhah

Should this be Hefah for consistency with Hefahus?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 16, 2015

@Faant, added "vie".

@Hefhah, the difference between hefhah and hefahus is that, without the alteration, hefahus would have three h's in a row as hefhahus. This isn't as problematic in hefhah. My suggestion would be to make hefhah into a hyphenated compound hef-hah, and then merge the adjective hefhahus into hef-hah. Thus, hi hef-hah! would equally be "you're a half-wit!" or "you're half-witted!"

by paarthurnax
July 16, 2015

@Faant, added "vie".

@Hefhah, the difference between hefhah and hefahus is that, without the alteration, hefahus would have three h's in a row as hefhahus. This isn't as problematic in hefhah. My suggestion would be to make hefhah into a hyphenated compound hef-hah, and then merge the adjective hefhahus into hef-hah. Thus, hi hef-hah! would equally be "you're a half-wit!" or "you're half-witted!"

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2015

Okay I see. Didn't think about the 3 h sounds. I actually think it's fine as it is, personally.

by Liis
July 16, 2015

Okay I see. Didn't think about the 3 h sounds. I actually think it's fine as it is, personally.

Dezonikso
July 16, 2015

Laaghadrim

"Laaghahdrim" an "H" was missed from one of the root words "hahdrim"

by Dezonikso
July 16, 2015

Laaghadrim

"Laaghahdrim" an "H" was missed from one of the root words "hahdrim"

Maakrindah
July 16, 2015

Malzseyosel

Does this word also mean "MeasurER of temperature/degree"? I am unclear as to which words are both the action (verb) and the actor (noun). If it does not include "one who does" then it does not make sense for this translation. I still think "yosel-funiik" makes more literal sense and stays consistent with Barometer (Sufus-funiik) and Clock (Tiid-funiik). I don't understand why Malzseyosel is used instead of my entry "Yosel-funiik". If nothing else, I would like to understand why "Malzseyosel" is the preferred version. Any thoughts?

by Maakrindah
July 16, 2015

Malzseyosel

Does this word also mean "MeasurER of temperature/degree"? I am unclear as to which words are both the action (verb) and the actor (noun). If it does not include "one who does" then it does not make sense for this translation. I still think "yosel-funiik" makes more literal sense and stays consistent with Barometer (Sufus-funiik) and Clock (Tiid-funiik). I don't understand why Malzseyosel is used instead of my entry "Yosel-funiik". If nothing else, I would like to understand why "Malzseyosel" is the preferred version. Any thoughts?

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2015

Grenvah

Spelling change to Grenvos to avoid closeness with Grunvah.

by Liis
July 16, 2015

Grenvah

Spelling change to Grenvos to avoid closeness with Grunvah.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.