Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  93  94  95  96  97  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Liis
Administrator
July 21, 2015

Nuz

Perhaps a change of spelling to _onuz, to avoid clashing with canon Nuz. Perhaps Konuz, Lonuz, Fonuz?

by Liis
July 21, 2015

Nuz

Perhaps a change of spelling to _onuz, to avoid clashing with canon Nuz. Perhaps Konuz, Lonuz, Fonuz?

Liis
Administrator
July 21, 2015

Folaas

Add definition "Incorrect".

by Liis
July 21, 2015

Folaas

Add definition "Incorrect".

Liis
Administrator
July 21, 2015

Diistkiin

Revision to make use of the word Geinaan.

by Liis
July 21, 2015

Diistkiin

Revision to make use of the word Geinaan.

Ahkrinfeynvokun
July 23, 2015

Eln

Hot (pronounced "hoat") to better fit in with the other numbers Hir and Hen. Mentioned by Paarthunaax in this thread: http://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=959

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
July 23, 2015

Eln

Hot (pronounced "hoat") to better fit in with the other numbers Hir and Hen. Mentioned by Paarthunaax in this thread: http://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=959

@Ahkrinfeynvokun,

This has been discussed thoroughly in private between paarthurnax and me. The final decision was ultimately Thiik, as seen in the thread you mentioned. The dictionary entries you see are outdated and now obsolete.

by Liis
July 23, 2015
@Ahkrinfeynvokun,

This has been discussed thoroughly in private between paarthurnax and me. The final decision was ultimately Thiik, as seen in the thread you mentioned. The dictionary entries you see are outdated and now obsolete.

Ahkrinfeynvokun
July 23, 2015

@Liis,

Ah! My mistake, I misunderstood the thread then. I'm sorry.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
July 23, 2015

@Liis,

Ah! My mistake, I misunderstood the thread then. I'm sorry.

@Ahkrinfeynvokun,

It's okay! No worries.

by Liis
July 23, 2015
@Ahkrinfeynvokun,

It's okay! No worries.

Liis
Administrator
July 24, 2015

Maltiid

We need an opposite to this word to avoid dual-meaning in Gelingrah.

by Liis
July 24, 2015

Maltiid

We need an opposite to this word to avoid dual-meaning in Gelingrah.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 26, 2015

@Nuz, this one has come up before. I'll explain it a bit more in depth. There is the canon word vonuz meaning "invisible." We know that vo- is a prefix, so it stands to reason that nuz as an adjective then means "visible". Since adjectives and conjunctions are fairly separate parts of speech, I don't think it'll be cause for too much confusion.

From a meta perspective, I think it's likely that Bethesda first made the word vonun "unseen," and then someone at Bethesda made the word vonuz "invisible" based on vonun without regard to vonun's etymology, thus leaving us in this conflicted situation. If this is the case, do we acknowledge the fluke and leave vonuz as its own word, where "vo" doesn't really mean "vo", or do we overlook it and establish nuz as its root adjective to follow the rules of the language?

by paarthurnax
July 26, 2015

@Nuz, this one has come up before. I'll explain it a bit more in depth. There is the canon word vonuz meaning "invisible." We know that vo- is a prefix, so it stands to reason that nuz as an adjective then means "visible". Since adjectives and conjunctions are fairly separate parts of speech, I don't think it'll be cause for too much confusion.

From a meta perspective, I think it's likely that Bethesda first made the word vonun "unseen," and then someone at Bethesda made the word vonuz "invisible" based on vonun without regard to vonun's etymology, thus leaving us in this conflicted situation. If this is the case, do we acknowledge the fluke and leave vonuz as its own word, where "vo" doesn't really mean "vo", or do we overlook it and establish nuz as its root adjective to follow the rules of the language?

Liis
Administrator
July 26, 2015

@paarthurnax,

My idea was to make the properties of "Vo-" still work because, for instance, "Konuz" with "Vo-" would be "Vonuz".

by Liis
July 26, 2015

@paarthurnax,

My idea was to make the properties of "Vo-" still work because, for instance, "Konuz" with "Vo-" would be "Vonuz".

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 26, 2015

@Folaas, I think we have to dig into this word a bit more. Here's the one usage I can find, in the Word Wall for Kyne's Peace:

Het mah spaan vahdin Valkrys
wo krif voth ahkrin nuz
los folaas wah ov mulaag
do bodiis tuz

Here fell the shield maiden Valkrys,
who fought courageously but
was wrong to trust the strength
of a borrowed blade.

Looking at the various definitions of the English word "wrong", I think the definition of folaas best matches the 3rd sense: "not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; inerror".

"Incorrect" can be used in this sense as well, so I'll add it, but note that folaas does not mean the factual sense of "incorrect".

by paarthurnax
July 26, 2015

@Folaas, I think we have to dig into this word a bit more. Here's the one usage I can find, in the Word Wall for Kyne's Peace:

Het mah spaan vahdin Valkrys
wo krif voth ahkrin nuz
los folaas wah ov mulaag
do bodiis tuz

Here fell the shield maiden Valkrys,
who fought courageously but
was wrong to trust the strength
of a borrowed blade.

Looking at the various definitions of the English word "wrong", I think the definition of folaas best matches the 3rd sense: "not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; inerror".

"Incorrect" can be used in this sense as well, so I'll add it, but note that folaas does not mean the factual sense of "incorrect".

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 26, 2015

@Maltiid, Maakrindah has authored the word lotiid as an anontonym to maltiid.

@Diistkiin, I think we should keep the first three ordinals as they are. Having them be unique and one-syllable makes compound words much easier. Then "fourth" and above would use -aan.

by paarthurnax
July 26, 2015

@Maltiid, Maakrindah has authored the word lotiid as an anontonym to maltiid.

@Diistkiin, I think we should keep the first three ordinals as they are. Having them be unique and one-syllable makes compound words much easier. Then "fourth" and above would use -aan.

Liis
Administrator
July 26, 2015

@paarthurnax,

I'll add the exceptions to the Number System thread.

by Liis
July 26, 2015

@paarthurnax,

I'll add the exceptions to the Number System thread.

Liis
Administrator
July 26, 2015

Vindo

Add definition "temperate"

by Liis
July 26, 2015

Vindo

Add definition "temperate"

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 26, 2015

@Vindo, added "temperate".

by paarthurnax
July 26, 2015

@Vindo, added "temperate".

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  93  94  95  96  97  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.