A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  92  93  94  95  96  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 17, 2015

@Laaghadrim, fixed to laaghahdrim. Not that hadrim is an alternate spelling that appears in canon.

@Malzeseyosel, edited this to yosel-funiik or "temperature-teller."

@Grenvah, there is no word grunvah that I can find?

by paarthurnax
July 17, 2015

@Laaghadrim, fixed to laaghahdrim. Not that hadrim is an alternate spelling that appears in canon.

@Malzeseyosel, edited this to yosel-funiik or "temperature-teller."

@Grenvah, there is no word grunvah that I can find?

Maakrindah
July 17, 2015

@Liis

@ Genvah

If you please, for my edification -

Isn't that the same kind of difference between 'Lake' & 'Like' in English? Are these kinds of differences and similarities to be avoided in Dovahzul?

by Maakrindah
July 17, 2015

@Liis

@ Genvah

If you please, for my edification -

Isn't that the same kind of difference between 'Lake' & 'Like' in English? Are these kinds of differences and similarities to be avoided in Dovahzul?

Liis
Administrator
July 17, 2015

Oops my bad. It was Grunzah with a z. Nevermind on the spelling change then; they're different enough.

@Maakrindah, The difference is that we can change it at will. We can't change like or lake to something more contrasting. Just because another language allows close spellings doesn't justify why we would. We'd be better to stay clear of justifying dovahzul's ways to English if we're to not be an English cypher.

by Liis
July 17, 2015

Oops my bad. It was Grunzah with a z. Nevermind on the spelling change then; they're different enough.

@Maakrindah, The difference is that we can change it at will. We can't change like or lake to something more contrasting. Just because another language allows close spellings doesn't justify why we would. We'd be better to stay clear of justifying dovahzul's ways to English if we're to not be an English cypher.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 17, 2015

Any language that has a sufficient body of words (like most natural languages) will end up having ones that sound similar, so that's not quite the concern here. It's most important when it comes to canon words. For example, a hypothetical word dovruvah "chicken" probably shouldn't contain dov if possible to help avoid confusion.

by paarthurnax
July 17, 2015

Any language that has a sufficient body of words (like most natural languages) will end up having ones that sound similar, so that's not quite the concern here. It's most important when it comes to canon words. For example, a hypothetical word dovruvah "chicken" probably shouldn't contain dov if possible to help avoid confusion.

Liis
Administrator
July 17, 2015
@paarthurnax, My point was to avoid confusion, but I'm not too concerned with words that are a little similar rather than heavily similar. The 2 letter difference in Grenvah and Grunzah are fine - especially since one letter difference is a consonant. Vowels are more susceptible to sound like another.
by Liis
July 17, 2015
@paarthurnax, My point was to avoid confusion, but I'm not too concerned with words that are a little similar rather than heavily similar. The 2 letter difference in Grenvah and Grunzah are fine - especially since one letter difference is a consonant. Vowels are more susceptible to sound like another.

Liis
Administrator
July 17, 2015

Fahraal

Add definition Remark perhaps? Remark is already in its noun form in Ofunlor.

by Liis
July 17, 2015

Fahraal

Add definition Remark perhaps? Remark is already in its noun form in Ofunlor.

Maakrindah
July 17, 2015
@Liis Fair enough, but what about Dovahzul words like 'Dii', 'Dah' and'Do'? - (keeping in mind that these are each two rune words.) Does it become acceptable in examples in which there are only two or three runes in the Dovahzul word? Does it really come down to the individual word? Is it that Canon examples are acceptable, but it should be avoided in constructed words? I'm just thinking out loud. I am interested in learning this so that I can apply the knowledge to my word entries.
by Maakrindah
July 17, 2015
@Liis Fair enough, but what about Dovahzul words like 'Dii', 'Dah' and'Do'? - (keeping in mind that these are each two rune words.) Does it become acceptable in examples in which there are only two or three runes in the Dovahzul word? Does it really come down to the individual word? Is it that Canon examples are acceptable, but it should be avoided in constructed words? I'm just thinking out loud. I am interested in learning this so that I can apply the knowledge to my word entries.

Maakrindah
July 18, 2015
@paarthurnax That makes sense. Avoid words that could easily be mistaken for the wrong root word?
by Maakrindah
July 18, 2015
@paarthurnax That makes sense. Avoid words that could easily be mistaken for the wrong root word?

@Maakrindah,

Yes, that's what he means.
Also, yes, it's mandatory to be acceptable - we obviously can't change canon. :p
On a side note, I oddly don't think Do, Dah and Dii are problematically close.

by Liis
July 18, 2015
@Maakrindah,

Yes, that's what he means.
Also, yes, it's mandatory to be acceptable - we obviously can't change canon. :p
On a side note, I oddly don't think Do, Dah and Dii are problematically close.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 18, 2015

@Fahraal, I think "remark" is closer to "comment" or "quip" than "answer" or "response."

by paarthurnax
July 18, 2015

@Fahraal, I think "remark" is closer to "comment" or "quip" than "answer" or "response."

Liis
Administrator
July 18, 2015

@Fahraal,

Okay. Better to check than not at all. :)

by Liis
July 18, 2015

@Fahraal,

Okay. Better to check than not at all. :)

Liis
Administrator
July 18, 2015

Pruzahlaas

Add definition "Prosperity".

by Liis
July 18, 2015

Pruzahlaas

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 19, 2015
Liis

Pruzahlaas

Added "prosperity."

by paarthurnax
July 19, 2015
Liis

Pruzahlaas

Added "prosperity."

Maakrindah
July 19, 2015

Zahraan

For a word like "Zahraan", is 'to make-' implied in the definition? For instance, 'Empty the trashcan' would be 'Zahraan fin dahstahdoor', but would 'His son's death made empty his home' be something like 'Ok kulro dinok verzahraan ok hofkiin' or would the prefix 'ver-' be redundant for this verb?

by Maakrindah
July 19, 2015

Zahraan

For a word like "Zahraan", is 'to make-' implied in the definition? For instance, 'Empty the trashcan' would be 'Zahraan fin dahstahdoor', but would 'His son's death made empty his home' be something like 'Ok kulro dinok verzahraan ok hofkiin' or would the prefix 'ver-' be redundant for this verb?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 20, 2015
Maakrindah

Zahraan

You're correct, "to make" would be implied in zahraan, so zahraan is "to make empty/hollow."

by paarthurnax
July 20, 2015
Maakrindah

Zahraan

You're correct, "to make" would be implied in zahraan, so zahraan is "to make empty/hollow."

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  92  93  94  95  96  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.