Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 4, 2014

Pruzahguur

The English words "Goodbye" and "Bye" are a shortening of the phrase "God be with you." Considering this, does "Pruzahguur" make sense? I think "Pruzahguur" and "Guur" should be deleted, or at least changed to a different word that means something else (like "fair winds" or "fly well").

by paarthurnax
September 4, 2014

Pruzahguur

The English words "Goodbye" and "Bye" are a shortening of the phrase "God be with you." Considering this, does "Pruzahguur" make sense? I think "Pruzahguur" and "Guur" should be deleted, or at least changed to a different word that means something else (like "fair winds" or "fly well").

Foduiiz
September 4, 2014
paarthurnax

Pruzahguur

Interesting bit of etymology! Someone give this Dovah a medal! 

In that case, how about "ven aak ",  "wind(s) guide (you)"? Is this becoming a phrase or a single word? Would "venaak" work also?

by Foduiiz
September 4, 2014
paarthurnax

Pruzahguur

Interesting bit of etymology! Someone give this Dovah a medal! 

In that case, how about "ven aak ",  "wind(s) guide (you)"? Is this becoming a phrase or a single word? Would "venaak" work also?

hiith
September 4, 2014
paarthurnax

Pruzahguur

I thought that they were fine, but pruzahguur might not be necessary.

by hiith
September 4, 2014
paarthurnax

Pruzahguur

I thought that they were fine, but pruzahguur might not be necessary.

Ahmuldein
September 4, 2014

Why not just say Pruzah voth hi?

by Ahmuldein
September 4, 2014

Why not just say Pruzah voth hi?

Mulhahlor
September 5, 2014

Wahl

Maybe should add "Form", "Shape", and "Cast" to the definition.

by Mulhahlor
September 5, 2014

Wahl

Maybe should add "Form", "Shape", and "Cast" to the definition.

Foduiiz
September 5, 2014

Wahlaat

I think "Wahl" could cover these definitions.

by Foduiiz
September 5, 2014

Wahlaat

I think "Wahl" could cover these definitions.

Mulhahlor
September 5, 2014

Hofkiin

This should also be "House".

by Mulhahlor
September 5, 2014

Hofkiin

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 5, 2014

@Wahl, you could certainly use wahl for these in a canon-only setting. Otherwise I'd say wahl is built out enough as it is, and the non-canon buld should be used for the other senses you mentioned.

@Wahlaat, interestingly, the canon seems to use wahlaan to mean "creation": rah wahlaan "gods of creation." May as well change it to wahlaan.

by paarthurnax
September 5, 2014

@Wahl, you could certainly use wahl for these in a canon-only setting. Otherwise I'd say wahl is built out enough as it is, and the non-canon buld should be used for the other senses you mentioned.

@Wahlaat, interestingly, the canon seems to use wahlaan to mean "creation": rah wahlaan "gods of creation." May as well change it to wahlaan.

Foduiiz
September 5, 2014
Mulhahlor

Hofkiin

I disagree. House and home, though synonyms, are two different things, and Hofkiin is canon. There is the non-canon word boden for a more direct translation. 

by Foduiiz
September 5, 2014
Mulhahlor

Hofkiin

I disagree. House and home, though synonyms, are two different things, and Hofkiin is canon. There is the non-canon word boden for a more direct translation. 

Mulhahlor
September 5, 2014
Foduiiz
Mulhahlor

Hofkiin

I was going through a dragon's mind-process. It would see both as a structure mortals live in. But I do see your point, I just wish there was at least a semi-canon word.

by Mulhahlor
September 5, 2014
Foduiiz
Mulhahlor

Hofkiin

I was going through a dragon's mind-process. It would see both as a structure mortals live in. But I do see your point, I just wish there was at least a semi-canon word.

hiith
September 5, 2014
Mulhahlor

I was going through a dragon's mind-process. It would see both as a structure mortals live in. 

I disagree. A dragon could call his mountain or lair a home, but it's not a house.

by hiith
September 5, 2014
Mulhahlor

I was going through a dragon's mind-process. It would see both as a structure mortals live in. 

I disagree. A dragon could call his mountain or lair a home, but it's not a house.

Ahmuldein
September 6, 2014
hiith
Mulhahlor

Good description but i also agree that a house and a home are not necessarily the same thing, a house is described as a cabin or a castle or a cottage but a home can be inside that house or in a cave or on a mountain

by Ahmuldein
September 6, 2014
hiith
Mulhahlor

Good description but i also agree that a house and a home are not necessarily the same thing, a house is described as a cabin or a castle or a cottage but a home can be inside that house or in a cave or on a mountain

hiith
September 8, 2014

Malingren

This is based off of "lingren", which was changed to "lingraan"

by hiith
September 8, 2014

Malingren

This is based off of "lingren", which was changed to "lingraan"

Foduiiz
September 8, 2014

Gemalingren

Should "shorten" not be the primary definition? That's the most accurate translation, is it not?

by Foduiiz
September 8, 2014

Gemalingren

Should "shorten" not be the primary definition? That's the most accurate translation, is it not?

hiith
September 8, 2014

Styorngol

This was based off of "styorn", which was changed to "storn"

by hiith
September 8, 2014

Styorngol

This was based off of "styorn", which was changed to "storn"

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.