Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  17  18  19  20 > >>  

raynscarlett
March 24, 2016

im a writer and honestly the whole non canon word thing may not work. at least not for what im useing it for. this could be expanded for so much more than canon words. such as someone should come up with a syntax for new words and post as guidlines for new words which should then be passed over by the admins for editing and adding to the dictionary.

by raynscarlett
March 24, 2016

im a writer and honestly the whole non canon word thing may not work. at least not for what im useing it for. this could be expanded for so much more than canon words. such as someone should come up with a syntax for new words and post as guidlines for new words which should then be passed over by the admins for editing and adding to the dictionary.

Frinmulaar
March 24, 2016
raynscarlett

If you need draconic-sounding words for meanings not found in canon, there is the legacy dictionary, which was created by exactly the process you describe and covers 6,000 entries. It isn't any less valid than before, just no longer endorsed by site staff.

by Frinmulaar
March 24, 2016
raynscarlett

If you need draconic-sounding words for meanings not found in canon, there is the legacy dictionary, which was created by exactly the process you describe and covers 6,000 entries. It isn't any less valid than before, just no longer endorsed by site staff.

Nahgahdinok
April 2, 2016

My niece has recently started getting into elder scrolls, and being as young as she is, she's asked me many words in the dragon tongue. Primarily because she enjoys hearing me speak it. She asked me if there was a word for blanket, which I note that there isn't. Perhaps Qah could be translated to mean Blanket as well? Since it means hide, and a blanket is simply another hide one wears to keep warm.

by Nahgahdinok
April 2, 2016

My niece has recently started getting into elder scrolls, and being as young as she is, she's asked me many words in the dragon tongue. Primarily because she enjoys hearing me speak it. She asked me if there was a word for blanket, which I note that there isn't. Perhaps Qah could be translated to mean Blanket as well? Since it means hide, and a blanket is simply another hide one wears to keep warm.

Frinmulaar
April 2, 2016
Nahgahdinok

There's the problem that Qah is never explicitly a hide, or even minimally implicitly a blanket in canon. We steer clear of such far-fetched definitions in the dictionary - otherwise Qah would end up as "leather", "skin", "carpet", "bedroll" and Akatosh knows what else. That's not to say you cannot craft a descriptive compound around it. Praanqah?

by Frinmulaar
April 2, 2016
Nahgahdinok

There's the problem that Qah is never explicitly a hide, or even minimally implicitly a blanket in canon. We steer clear of such far-fetched definitions in the dictionary - otherwise Qah would end up as "leather", "skin", "carpet", "bedroll" and Akatosh knows what else. That's not to say you cannot craft a descriptive compound around it. Praanqah?

KulDoDiiKrosis
April 29, 2016

I think the word side should be translated to sid

by KulDoDiiKrosis
April 29, 2016

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 29, 2016
Kul Do Dii Kros

Hi Kul, this thread is for suggesting translations for existing words. For example, if meaning "side" as in "allied group" or "view", you might use mir 'allegiance'.

by paarthurnax
April 29, 2016
Kul Do Dii Kros

Hi Kul, this thread is for suggesting translations for existing words. For example, if meaning "side" as in "allied group" or "view", you might use mir 'allegiance'.

tyboy454
May 1, 2016

You should make a word for star

by tyboy454
May 1, 2016

You should make a word for star

Liis
Administrator
May 1, 2016
@tyboy454,

This thread is for suggesting translations for existing words only.
by Liis
May 1, 2016
@tyboy454,

This thread is for suggesting translations for existing words only.

KulDoDiiKrosis
May 2, 2016
paarthurnax

OK thank you. Oh, by the way I meant it like side-by-side

by KulDoDiiKrosis
May 2, 2016
paarthurnax

OK thank you. Oh, by the way I meant it like side-by-side

Frinmulaar
May 2, 2016

"Own" should point to piraak - unless "possessing strength" is too far from "owning a sword".

by Frinmulaar
May 2, 2016

"Own" should point to piraak - unless "possessing strength" is too far from "owning a sword".

tyboy454
May 2, 2016
Liis
@tyboy454, This thread is for suggesting translations for existing words only.
ok

by tyboy454
May 2, 2016
Liis
@tyboy454, This thread is for suggesting translations for existing words only.
ok

TeKoda Sinn
May 13, 2016

Hey, new to this, but I need a translation for near, or close. I'm getting a tattoo I want to say "Only feel alive when near death" "Nunon Haalvut Nahlaas Fod ... Oblaan"

by TeKoda Sinn
May 13, 2016

Hey, new to this, but I need a translation for near, or close. I'm getting a tattoo I want to say "Only feel alive when near death" "Nunon Haalvut Nahlaas Fod ... Oblaan"

Liis
Administrator
May 13, 2016
@TeKoda Sinn,

Foremost, "Haalvut" means "feel" as in "to touch" especially with one's hand, "Haal", rather than to feel emotionally.
by Liis
May 13, 2016
@TeKoda Sinn,

Foremost, "Haalvut" means "feel" as in "to touch" especially with one's hand, "Haal", rather than to feel emotionally.

TeKoda Sinn
May 14, 2016
Liis
@TeKoda Sinn, Foremost, "Haalvut" means "feel" as in "to touch" especially with one's hand, "Haal", rather than to feel emotionally.

Oh, thank you. As I said, I'm new to this, and want it to be accurate. After I posted (as I was rushing off to work) I noticed other people asking for words thet weren't in the index, and being told they where in the wrong place, because this is a place to suggest new words. Where should I be posting?

by TeKoda Sinn
May 14, 2016
Liis
@TeKoda Sinn, Foremost, "Haalvut" means "feel" as in "to touch" especially with one's hand, "Haal", rather than to feel emotionally.

Oh, thank you. As I said, I'm new to this, and want it to be accurate. After I posted (as I was rushing off to work) I noticed other people asking for words thet weren't in the index, and being told they where in the wrong place, because this is a place to suggest new words. Where should I be posting?

Liis
Administrator
May 14, 2016
@TeKoda Sinn,

I would suggest the Question Board.
by Liis
May 14, 2016
@TeKoda Sinn,

I would suggest the Question Board.
<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  17  18  19  20 > >>