A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Frinmulaar
May 14, 2016

@TeKoda Sinn

You will get the quickest responses when asking for translations on the Question Board. For this one, I suggest Mindok tol nahlaas nunon ahst qalossedinok or "(to) know that (you are) alive only when death is present".

Edit: ninja'd.

Edit edit: make 'sunrise' and 'sunset' find vu and suvulaan.

by Frinmulaar
May 14, 2016

@TeKoda Sinn

You will get the quickest responses when asking for translations on the Question Board. For this one, I suggest Mindok tol nahlaas nunon ahst qalossedinok or "(to) know that (you are) alive only when death is present".

Edit: ninja'd.

Edit edit: make 'sunrise' and 'sunset' find vu and suvulaan.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 14, 2016
To clarify, this thread is for suggesting new translations of existing words.
by paarthurnax
May 14, 2016
To clarify, this thread is for suggesting new translations of existing words.

Onikkrahpus
May 25, 2016

I can't find a dragon equivilant for 'change', meaning 'not as it was', so could the words 'be not old' (kos ni wuth) be sort of pasted together to mean 'change'? Or should something else be done?

by Onikkrahpus
May 25, 2016

I can't find a dragon equivilant for 'change', meaning 'not as it was', so could the words 'be not old' (kos ni wuth) be sort of pasted together to mean 'change'? Or should something else be done?

Frinmulaar
May 25, 2016
@Onikkrahpus
In the spirit of paarthurnax's answer to Orkar Isber on page 3 of this thread, many-word translations are best left to people.

You're doing paraphrasing, which is a crucial part of translating well with the small canon vocabulary. It is a skill that works great when applied together with the translator. For the time being, we only want simple synonyms in the tool itself to avoid clutter.
by Frinmulaar
May 25, 2016
@Onikkrahpus

In the spirit of paarthurnax's answer to Orkar Isber on page 3 of this thread, many-word translations are best left to people.

You're doing paraphrasing, which is a crucial part of translating well with the small canon vocabulary. It is a skill that works great when applied together with the translator. For the time being, we only want simple synonyms in the tool itself to avoid clutter.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 25, 2016
Onikkrahpus

"Change" is a challenging one. There's mulhaan 'unchanging/unmoving/still', which could be made into vomulhaan 'un-still/changing'. Frul 'ephemeral' might also be used to connotate change, as in things that aren't permanent.

by paarthurnax
May 25, 2016
Onikkrahpus

"Change" is a challenging one. There's mulhaan 'unchanging/unmoving/still', which could be made into vomulhaan 'un-still/changing'. Frul 'ephemeral' might also be used to connotate change, as in things that aren't permanent.

Kruziikvahrukt
May 26, 2016

my idea is:

Kiss. Dragon Translation: Kiz

by Kruziikvahrukt
May 26, 2016

my idea is:

Kiss. Dragon Translation: Kiz

Liis
Administrator
May 26, 2016
@Kruziikvahrukt,

This thread is for suggesting translations for existing words only.
by Liis
May 26, 2016
@Kruziikvahrukt,

This thread is for suggesting translations for existing words only.

Frinmulaar
May 26, 2016

That is, post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent listed for it.

For instance: 'Mock', 'jeer', and possibly 'disdain' should find beyn.

by Frinmulaar
May 26, 2016

That is, post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent listed for it.

For instance: 'Mock', 'jeer', and possibly 'disdain' should find beyn.

Anjamen
June 14, 2016

I have been looking for a translation for word coin, and I could not find it. So as all coins in game are golden, and as dragons don't use coins I think it may be combination of words gold(Yuvon) and unit(Nii) like Yuvonii(Golden unit).

P.S. They would use a combination mostly because money doesn't mean anything to them, and they would just explain it in the compound.

by Anjamen
June 14, 2016

I have been looking for a translation for word coin, and I could not find it. So as all coins in game are golden, and as dragons don't use coins I think it may be combination of words gold(Yuvon) and unit(Nii) like Yuvonii(Golden unit).

P.S. They would use a combination mostly because money doesn't mean anything to them, and they would just explain it in the compound.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 14, 2016
Anjamen

I might actually recommend faraan 'fortune/wealth' as the closest translation for 'coin' in the abstract sense: 'I do not have much coin/wealth'. As for the specific object, yuvon alone might work, referring to "something that is golden", in context meaning "coin".

by paarthurnax
June 14, 2016
Anjamen

I might actually recommend faraan 'fortune/wealth' as the closest translation for 'coin' in the abstract sense: 'I do not have much coin/wealth'. As for the specific object, yuvon alone might work, referring to "something that is golden", in context meaning "coin".

Anjamen
June 14, 2016
paarthurnax

I got it. Since gold(Yuvon) by itself is uncountable in english so (correct me if I am wrong) I suppose in dragon language it should be too, we can make coin and gold homonyms, and then since coins are countable we can translate yuvonne as coins, since golds doesn't make much sence.

by Anjamen
June 14, 2016
paarthurnax

I got it. Since gold(Yuvon) by itself is uncountable in english so (correct me if I am wrong) I suppose in dragon language it should be too, we can make coin and gold homonyms, and then since coins are countable we can translate yuvonne as coins, since golds doesn't make much sence.

Liis
Administrator
June 15, 2016
"Utmost" for "Zok"
by Liis
June 15, 2016
"Utmost" for "Zok"

ratgirl34
June 22, 2016

Veyveydo, Lawnmower. 

Or Veydovey.... But that just sounds weird...

Never tried making a word before. No hard feelings if it's rejected.

by ratgirl34
June 22, 2016

Veyveydo, Lawnmower. 

Or Veydovey.... But that just sounds weird...

Never tried making a word before. No hard feelings if it's rejected.

Frinmulaar
June 23, 2016
Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers.
by Frinmulaar
June 23, 2016
Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers.

Rahdunmal
June 25, 2016

I did look for a submissions page or something but didn't find one. I assume this is the thread fot that.

I was translating a monologue into Dovahzul and found some words that weren't in the dictionary. I did some digging into draconic languages of other canons and loaned a few words and made them a bit more Dovahzul-esque.

Astound/surprise/astonish/etc. - Lahkiney

Dwarf - Fahliilsegol (or something along the lines of "Elf of the ground")

Name - Ominaak

Tooth - Oth

Tail - Jahko

Clap - Vrak

Signature (as in a defining feature of) - Qiilsiren

Cup/Chalice/Goblet - Tiik

Teach - Ahku

Others - Lirek

There shoold also be a word for "again" or "once more". Something like "aan lirek tiid" perhaps shortened to "anlirektii".

by Rahdunmal
June 25, 2016

I did look for a submissions page or something but didn't find one. I assume this is the thread fot that.

I was translating a monologue into Dovahzul and found some words that weren't in the dictionary. I did some digging into draconic languages of other canons and loaned a few words and made them a bit more Dovahzul-esque.

Astound/surprise/astonish/etc. - Lahkiney

Dwarf - Fahliilsegol (or something along the lines of "Elf of the ground")

Name - Ominaak

Tooth - Oth

Tail - Jahko

Clap - Vrak

Signature (as in a defining feature of) - Qiilsiren

Cup/Chalice/Goblet - Tiik

Teach - Ahku

Others - Lirek

There shoold also be a word for "again" or "once more". Something like "aan lirek tiid" perhaps shortened to "anlirektii".

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  17  18  19  20 > >>