A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  100  101  102  103 > >>  

DovahKiinZaan
November 2, 2014

Luftilir

I don't think this is a term that dragons would use. And I'm sure the only face paint in skyrim is classed as war paint by the people

by DovahKiinZaan
November 2, 2014

Luftilir

I don't think this is a term that dragons would use. And I'm sure the only face paint in skyrim is classed as war paint by the people

DovahKiinZaan
November 2, 2014

Mahfaeraak

Maybe a note should be added about the 'ae' appearing.

by DovahKiinZaan
November 2, 2014

Mahfaeraak

Maybe a note should be added about the 'ae' appearing.

DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Fridirlovaas

"The bard gave her a serenade." Noun that applies to skyrim

by DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Fridirlovaas

"The bard gave her a serenade." Noun that applies to skyrim

DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Kiidenek

Podzol isn't modern, it can be observed on the island of solstheim and even some parts of skyrim

by DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Kiidenek

Podzol isn't modern, it can be observed on the island of solstheim and even some parts of skyrim

Mirkrilaar
November 4, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Ahmin

Could this also be a noun? "There was an imperial notice on the door"

Added.

by Mirkrilaar
November 4, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Ahmin

Could this also be a noun? "There was an imperial notice on the door"

Added.

DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Added.

Thanks

by DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Added.

Thanks

DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Aakoraak

There is no evidence to suggest that these exist in the elder scrolls universe. Maybe change it to modern?

by DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Aakoraak

There is no evidence to suggest that these exist in the elder scrolls universe. Maybe change it to modern?

DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Gekrastok

Would the people of tamriel know about infections? I think this should be modern

by DovahKiinZaan
November 4, 2014

Gekrastok

Would the people of tamriel know about infections? I think this should be modern

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 4, 2014

@Fridirlovaas, again, this falls under the camp of "words that dragons would not naturally have their own words for."

@Podzol, same as above. It's a scientific/geological term that dragons wouldn't naturally have. The English word didn't even exist until the 20th century, and it's a direct loanword from Russian.

@Aakoraak, staffs exist.

@Gekrastok, this word really means "prone to make one sick" or "sickening," which I'll add to the definition. It isn't strictly medical. It could be used to mean a sickening sight, or a sickening taste.

Note that a lot of the modern words are classed as modern on a mostly subjective basis. If there is doubt, a word is more likely to be classed as modern than not. This means that if there is a questionable word that is already classified as modern, the modern category is probably right for it.

by paarthurnax
November 4, 2014

@Fridirlovaas, again, this falls under the camp of "words that dragons would not naturally have their own words for."

@Podzol, same as above. It's a scientific/geological term that dragons wouldn't naturally have. The English word didn't even exist until the 20th century, and it's a direct loanword from Russian.

@Aakoraak, staffs exist.

@Gekrastok, this word really means "prone to make one sick" or "sickening," which I'll add to the definition. It isn't strictly medical. It could be used to mean a sickening sight, or a sickening taste.

Note that a lot of the modern words are classed as modern on a mostly subjective basis. If there is doubt, a word is more likely to be classed as modern than not. This means that if there is a questionable word that is already classified as modern, the modern category is probably right for it.

DremSahrot
November 10, 2014

I just wanted to start the non-canon Dovahzul course on Memrise and noticed the word Nuz translated to Visible derived from Vonuz meaning Invisible and coined by a user here. The problem I have with this is that there exists a canon word Nuz meaning But.

Wouldn't this cause a lot of confusion and as such shouldn't we only use the canon meaning?

by DremSahrot
November 10, 2014

I just wanted to start the non-canon Dovahzul course on Memrise and noticed the word Nuz translated to Visible derived from Vonuz meaning Invisible and coined by a user here. The problem I have with this is that there exists a canon word Nuz meaning But.

Wouldn't this cause a lot of confusion and as such shouldn't we only use the canon meaning?

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 10, 2014
Assile

This is a tricky situation where two canon words conflict with each other.

Consider the canon prefix vo- "un- / opposite of," used in words like vonun "unseen," vomindok "unknown,"  and vomindoraan "incomprehensible." Vonuz "invisible" would then appear to be vo- nuz, where nuz must be a word that means "visible" or something close to it.

It is confusing, but it's in the dictionary more as an analysis of canon rather than our own invention. "But" and "unseen" are also pretty different parts of speech, kind of like "but" and "butt," so I think that alleviates any potential confusion.

by paarthurnax
November 10, 2014
Assile

Consider the canon prefix vo- "un- / opposite of," used in words like vonun "unseen," vomindok "unknown,"  and vomindoraan "incomprehensible." Vonuz "invisible" would then appear to be vo- nuz, where nuz must be a word that means "visible" or something close to it.

It is confusing, but it's in the dictionary more as an analysis of canon rather than our own invention. "But" and "unseen" are also pretty different parts of speech, kind of like "but" and "butt," so I think that alleviates any potential confusion.

Wuthrahzun
November 10, 2014

Lotaniik

Expand the definition to include "Gorgeous". http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gorgeous?s=t

by Wuthrahzun
November 10, 2014

Lotaniik

Expand the definition to include "Gorgeous". http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gorgeous?s=t

DremSahrot
November 11, 2014
paarthurnax
Assile

Ah, I didn't realise Vonuz was actually canon. I guess we'll have to just deal with it. Thank you for the rapid reply!

by DremSahrot
November 11, 2014
paarthurnax
Assile

Ah, I didn't realise Vonuz was actually canon. I guess we'll have to just deal with it. Thank you for the rapid reply!

Wuthrahzun
November 11, 2014

Zund

Expand definition to include "Embark". This would also allow "Vozund" to mean "Disembark".

by Wuthrahzun
November 11, 2014

Zund

Expand definition to include "Embark". This would also allow "Vozund" to mean "Disembark".

Wuthrahzun
November 12, 2014

Forgen

Expand definition to include "Forgo".

by Wuthrahzun
November 12, 2014

Forgen

Expand definition to include "Forgo".

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.