A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015
BoDuSil
Sahlojoor, meaning weakling, is how the dov would say it. Also, we shouldn't have a "weakling" word. Dovahzul is very straightforward, so a dovah would probably say "he weak" or "your weak" rather than "you are weakling" or "he is weakling"

That's a very insightful observation, especially for one so new to the language. Nice catch! Balaan dojiik.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015
BoDuSil
Sahlojoor, meaning weakling, is how the dov would say it. Also, we shouldn't have a "weakling" word. Dovahzul is very straightforward, so a dovah would probably say "he weak" or "your weak" rather than "you are weakling" or "he is weakling"

That's a very insightful observation, especially for one so new to the language. Nice catch! Balaan dojiik.

BoDuSil
January 23, 2015

Im just really good at grammar. It just is more natural to me than the Abc's

by BoDuSil
January 23, 2015

Im just really good at grammar. It just is more natural to me than the Abc's

GoldenRivit
January 23, 2015

Maad

Could it also mean a 'nut' used in construction, as in nuts, bolts, screws, nails etc. Or should a different word be used/made. 

Also noticed this is 'haaljusk' (nail) and 'rusaak' (bolt), with the meaning of fingernails and a crossbow bolt respectively, again would the dovahzul words be used also, or different ones created? 

by GoldenRivit
January 23, 2015

Maad

Could it also mean a 'nut' used in construction, as in nuts, bolts, screws, nails etc. Or should a different word be used/made. 

Also noticed this is 'haaljusk' (nail) and 'rusaak' (bolt), with the meaning of fingernails and a crossbow bolt respectively, again would the dovahzul words be used also, or different ones created? 

GoldenRivit
January 23, 2015
Aaliizah

Sav

I know this is such a tiny detail, but I think this word would look better if another A were added to it for the sake of consistency with other similar canon words. There are no canon words with the Roman letters A and Z that end with

AZ

There are just words that end with

1Z

It's fine the way it is, really, but I thought I'd say something anyway.

You've got a good point, about the conistancy of the appearance/spelling of the words. Just saying..

But the other words relating to 'sav', such as 'savend' (meaning salvation) and 'saviik' (meaning savior) would, in my opinion, all have to be changed to include the 'aa' because their root word is indeed 'sav'.

I still agree though.

by GoldenRivit
January 23, 2015
Aaliizah

Sav

I know this is such a tiny detail, but I think this word would look better if another A were added to it for the sake of consistency with other similar canon words. There are no canon words with the Roman letters A and Z that end with

AZ

There are just words that end with

1Z

It's fine the way it is, really, but I thought I'd say something anyway.

You've got a good point, about the conistancy of the appearance/spelling of the words. Just saying..

But the other words relating to 'sav', such as 'savend' (meaning salvation) and 'saviik' (meaning savior) would, in my opinion, all have to be changed to include the 'aa' because their root word is indeed 'sav'.

I still agree though.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 23, 2015

@Sahlojoor, that's a very good point! I've deleted the word and pointed "weakling" at sahlo.

@Maad, I would say that these words wouldn't be interchangeable. They'd specifically refer to their non-modern senses.

@Sav, agreed. I'll change it to saav and then delete savend. I think this is another situation where a verb can function as a noun.

by paarthurnax
January 23, 2015

@Sahlojoor, that's a very good point! I've deleted the word and pointed "weakling" at sahlo.

@Maad, I would say that these words wouldn't be interchangeable. They'd specifically refer to their non-modern senses.

@Sav, agreed. I'll change it to saav and then delete savend. I think this is another situation where a verb can function as a noun.

BoDuSil
January 23, 2015

The word for teenager. We don't need it. We can just say "Young man" rather than saying "teenager"

by BoDuSil
January 23, 2015

The word for teenager. We don't need it. We can just say "Young man" rather than saying "teenager"

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 24, 2015

Govir

I just realized that "Govey," "remove," is probably related to "Vey," "cut." In this light, this word should be changed such that "Vey" remains intact. Possibilities would be "Tovey," "Novey," "Duvey," basically anything where "Vey" is still part of the word.

by paarthurnax
January 24, 2015

Govir

I just realized that "Govey," "remove," is probably related to "Vey," "cut." In this light, this word should be changed such that "Vey" remains intact. Possibilities would be "Tovey," "Novey," "Duvey," basically anything where "Vey" is still part of the word.

hiith
January 30, 2015

Dahrm

Doesn't seem very dragon-like

by hiith
January 30, 2015

Dahrm

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 30, 2015
hiith

Dahrm

Nope, edited this to dahrim.

by paarthurnax
January 30, 2015
hiith

Dahrm

Nope, edited this to dahrim.

BoDuSil
January 31, 2015

Heimsekaan

Lokheim, this literally means Sky Forge

by BoDuSil
January 31, 2015

Heimsekaan

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 31, 2015
BoDuSil

Heimsekaan

Dragons don't have to call it the same thing.

by paarthurnax
January 31, 2015
BoDuSil

Heimsekaan

Dragons don't have to call it the same thing.

BoDuSil
January 31, 2015

Okay @Paarthurnax that would make sense.

by BoDuSil
January 31, 2015

Okay @Paarthurnax that would make sense.

hiith
February 2, 2015

Bexaat

I don't think that basing this off of "bex" makes much sense. You could open lots of things that don't really fit this definition: doors, gates, minds, cadavers, and portals. I think that this definition should be based on the word for "contain" (whatever that is) and allow this word to mean anything that is open (including floodgates and cadavers). I, for one, didn't have a problem with "pok".

by hiith
February 2, 2015

Bexaat

I don't think that basing this off of "bex" makes much sense. You could open lots of things that don't really fit this definition: doors, gates, minds, cadavers, and portals. I think that this definition should be based on the word for "contain" (whatever that is) and allow this word to mean anything that is open (including floodgates and cadavers). I, for one, didn't have a problem with "pok".

hiith
February 3, 2015

Zofenahk

you could add "zof" as the root

by hiith
February 3, 2015

Zofenahk

you could add "zof" as the root

Aaliizah
February 3, 2015

Losei

I've always thought that losei is a strange combination of lo, se, and the suffix -i, resulting in a word that roughly means "my deceitful" or "my of-deceit". This makes sense with Alduin's next line (paraphrased: You don't look like a dragon to me) and his attitude toward the Dragonborn in general (basically that s/he's a poser). I know the dialogue file translates the sentence with the word "you're" in the place of losei, but I assumed that they did this to help the actors get a general feel for what they're saying, and they may have found this word a little too complex to translate smoothly and so skimmed over it for the actor's sake. There are other cases in the dialogue file where things aren't translated literally or word-for-word, so I don't think it would really be unheard of. On the other hand, losei being a contraction of los and hi makes complete sense, especially considering what it says in the file. I don't know, I just think this should be discussed.

by Aaliizah
February 3, 2015

Losei

I've always thought that losei is a strange combination of lo, se, and the suffix -i, resulting in a word that roughly means "my deceitful" or "my of-deceit". This makes sense with Alduin's next line (paraphrased: You don't look like a dragon to me) and his attitude toward the Dragonborn in general (basically that s/he's a poser). I know the dialogue file translates the sentence with the word "you're" in the place of losei, but I assumed that they did this to help the actors get a general feel for what they're saying, and they may have found this word a little too complex to translate smoothly and so skimmed over it for the actor's sake. There are other cases in the dialogue file where things aren't translated literally or word-for-word, so I don't think it would really be unheard of. On the other hand, losei being a contraction of los and hi makes complete sense, especially considering what it says in the file. I don't know, I just think this should be discussed.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.