A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  79  80  81  82  83  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Maakrindah
May 27, 2015

Kun

I thought the Canon for "Kun" was "grab/grasp" and that a "shadow" was "un-grab"-able". Isn't that straight from the game? Why change it from the original?

by Maakrindah
May 27, 2015

Kun

I thought the Canon for "Kun" was "grab/grasp" and that a "shadow" was "un-grab"-able". Isn't that straight from the game? Why change it from the original?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 28, 2015
Maakrindah

Kun

There is an invented word kuz "to take" that was formerly kun. It was edited to kuz to avoid conflict with the canon kun "light." Kun has never meant "to grab/grasp/take" in canon.

by paarthurnax
May 28, 2015
Maakrindah

Kun

There is an invented word kuz "to take" that was formerly kun. It was edited to kuz to avoid conflict with the canon kun "light." Kun has never meant "to grab/grasp/take" in canon.

Ahmuldein
May 30, 2015

Boziik

Could Brazen be added to the definition?

by Ahmuldein
May 30, 2015

Boziik

Could Brazen be added to the definition?

Ahmuldein
May 30, 2015

Genun

Add "express" to the definitions

by Ahmuldein
May 30, 2015

Genun

Add "express" to the definitions

Ahmuldein
May 30, 2015

Lahk

Add definition "chide"

by Ahmuldein
May 30, 2015

Lahk

Add definition "chide"

Maakrindah
May 31, 2015

Hadrozaal

Can this be a verb and a noun?

by Maakrindah
May 31, 2015

Hadrozaal

Can this be a verb and a noun?

Ahmuldein
June 1, 2015

Aaverin-Mindaas

Is there not a more efficient way to say "the study of" than adding mindaas at the end? I'm sure there is a way to make this less wordy and more fluid

by Ahmuldein
June 1, 2015

Aaverin-Mindaas

Is there not a more efficient way to say "the study of" than adding mindaas at the end? I'm sure there is a way to make this less wordy and more fluid

Ahmuldein
June 1, 2015

Aavgolz

Take "magnetic" out of the list of definitions since this is a noun, not an adjective

by Ahmuldein
June 1, 2015

Aavgolz

Take "magnetic" out of the list of definitions since this is a noun, not an adjective

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 1, 2015

@Boziik, I've added an English-Dovahzul entry for "brazen" that points to boziik.

@Genun, "express" in what sense? At its core, genun means "to make visible."

@Lahk, added chide. This word should also be edited to something else, since ah should not be used in the middle of a syllable this way and laak means "to snore."

@Hadrozaal, this should be a noun only. Use hadroz as the verb "to braid (weave)".

@Aaverin-Mindaas, the convention is hahse-, as in hahsegol "geology (mind of the earth"). However, hahseaaverin doesn't work so well, so it is aaverin-mindaas in this case.

@Aavgolz, it is both, in the same way that "metal" is both a noun and adjective.

by paarthurnax
June 1, 2015

@Boziik, I've added an English-Dovahzul entry for "brazen" that points to boziik.

@Genun, "express" in what sense? At its core, genun means "to make visible."

@Lahk, added chide. This word should also be edited to something else, since ah should not be used in the middle of a syllable this way and laak means "to snore."

@Hadrozaal, this should be a noun only. Use hadroz as the verb "to braid (weave)".

@Aaverin-Mindaas, the convention is hahse-, as in hahsegol "geology (mind of the earth"). However, hahseaaverin doesn't work so well, so it is aaverin-mindaas in this case.

@Aavgolz, it is both, in the same way that "metal" is both a noun and adjective.

Maakrindah
June 2, 2015

Aavgolz

Perhaps "Lodestone" should be added to the definition. If not, I would like to Author the word for it.

by Maakrindah
June 2, 2015

Aavgolz

Perhaps "Lodestone" should be added to the definition. If not, I would like to Author the word for it.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 2, 2015
Maakrindah

Aavgolz

That'll work, and is perhaps even a better translation of aavgolz than "magnet."

by paarthurnax
June 2, 2015
Maakrindah

Aavgolz

That'll work, and is perhaps even a better translation of aavgolz than "magnet."

Ahmuldein
June 2, 2015

Can there be a way to list that in the contents of the word since it usually only says "noun" or "adjective"?

by Ahmuldein
June 2, 2015

Can there be a way to list that in the contents of the word since it usually only says "noun" or "adjective"?

Ahmuldein
June 3, 2015

-maar

The only problem I see with this being self reflexive is the fact that Fahdonmaar still means "friendship" yet many other words with "-ship" end with Ein/Dein.

by Ahmuldein
June 3, 2015

-maar

The only problem I see with this being self reflexive is the fact that Fahdonmaar still means "friendship" yet many other words with "-ship" end with Ein/Dein.

Maakrindah
June 3, 2015

@Ahmuldein I see where you are coming from, but I believe '-maar' when it signifies '-hood' or '-ship' (instead of '-self') is a still a reflexive suffix, because it signifies a group reflexiveness (ie how individuals in a group relate to each other.) Hence brotherhood cannot exist if there is only one brother and friendship cannot occur with only one person. These should not be confused with singular reflexive suffixes in english which imply what one does to himself / herself and furthermore should not be confused with non-reflexive words that share a suffix in english. Words like 'apprenticeship' only need one apprentice and do not imply group or self reflexiveness. One does not apprentice oneself and an apprentice does not apprentice others. I believe that in Dovahzul (and i could be wrong) reflexive '-ship' and '-hood' (along with '-self') are signified by "-maar" while non-reflexive "-ship" and "-hood" are signified by "-ein" or "-gein".

by Maakrindah
June 3, 2015

@Ahmuldein I see where you are coming from, but I believe '-maar' when it signifies '-hood' or '-ship' (instead of '-self') is a still a reflexive suffix, because it signifies a group reflexiveness (ie how individuals in a group relate to each other.) Hence brotherhood cannot exist if there is only one brother and friendship cannot occur with only one person. These should not be confused with singular reflexive suffixes in english which imply what one does to himself / herself and furthermore should not be confused with non-reflexive words that share a suffix in english. Words like 'apprenticeship' only need one apprentice and do not imply group or self reflexiveness. One does not apprentice oneself and an apprentice does not apprentice others. I believe that in Dovahzul (and i could be wrong) reflexive '-ship' and '-hood' (along with '-self') are signified by "-maar" while non-reflexive "-ship" and "-hood" are signified by "-ein" or "-gein".

Maakrindah
June 3, 2015

@Ahmuldein I believe the next print dictionary will have the new parts of speech that will clarify which words are multiple parts of speech in english. For instance, we do not have a part of speech in english that denotes whether a verb is also a noun, but there is a linguistic part of speech that does denote these words separately from words that are only nouns or only verbs.

by Maakrindah
June 3, 2015

@Ahmuldein I believe the next print dictionary will have the new parts of speech that will clarify which words are multiple parts of speech in english. For instance, we do not have a part of speech in english that denotes whether a verb is also a noun, but there is a linguistic part of speech that does denote these words separately from words that are only nouns or only verbs.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  79  80  81  82  83  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.