A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  100  101  102  103 > >>  

hiith
June 27, 2014

Oblaan

used as a verb in Alduin's famous, "zu'u unslaad! zu'u nis oblaan!". If this is also a noun, it should have a note

by hiith
June 27, 2014

Oblaan

used as a verb in Alduin's famous, "zu'u unslaad! zu'u nis oblaan!". If this is also a noun, it should have a note

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 27, 2014
hiith

Oblaan

Added note that it can be a verb also.

by paarthurnax
June 27, 2014
hiith

Oblaan

Added note that it can be a verb also.

Foduiiz
June 27, 2014

Zirokey

Synonyms "bike" and "push-bike"

by Foduiiz
June 27, 2014

Zirokey

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 27, 2014
Foduiiz

Zirokey

Added "bike," not sure "push-bike" is necessary with 'bike."

by paarthurnax
June 27, 2014
Foduiiz

Zirokey

Added "bike," not sure "push-bike" is necessary with 'bike."

hiith
June 28, 2014

Undaar

could also be "finally"? If so, then "at last" could be another synonym

by hiith
June 28, 2014

Undaar

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 28, 2014
hiith

Undaar

Yes, under the possibility that all adjectives are also adverbs. Thoughts on that?

by paarthurnax
June 28, 2014
hiith

Undaar

Yes, under the possibility that all adjectives are also adverbs. Thoughts on that?

hiith
June 29, 2014

Bansfir

A bit of an odd spelling, with "nsf"

by hiith
June 29, 2014

Bansfir

A bit of an odd spelling, with "nsf"

hiith
June 29, 2014

Senkjoor

again, the three-consonants-in-a-row throws off pronunciation

by hiith
June 29, 2014

Senkjoor

again, the three-consonants-in-a-row throws off pronunciation

hiith
June 29, 2014

Yostvah

More three-consonants-in-a-row. I don't like them.

by hiith
June 29, 2014

Yostvah

More three-consonants-in-a-row. I don't like them.

hiith
June 29, 2014

Fokmir

A bit of an odd spelling, it seems

by hiith
June 29, 2014

Fokmir

A bit of an odd spelling, it seems

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 29, 2014

@Bansfir, edited to baansir

@Senkjoor, edited to sonziik.

@Yostvah, I think this one's okay as far as three consonant clusters go. Anyhow, I changed it to yostrah. Still three consonants but works better.

@Fokmir, edited to forokir.

by paarthurnax
June 29, 2014

@Bansfir, edited to baansir

@Senkjoor, edited to sonziik.

@Yostvah, I think this one's okay as far as three consonant clusters go. Anyhow, I changed it to yostrah. Still three consonants but works better.

@Fokmir, edited to forokir.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 29, 2014

-aat

One sweeping change I just made is changing the suffix "-aht" to "-aat." "Ah" shouldn't be used before a consonant like so. Words that previously used "-aht" now use "-aat," for example "Honaat," "Brudaat," and "Wahlaat."

by paarthurnax
June 29, 2014

-aat

One sweeping change I just made is changing the suffix "-aht" to "-aat." "Ah" shouldn't be used before a consonant like so. Words that previously used "-aht" now use "-aat," for example "Honaat," "Brudaat," and "Wahlaat."

hiith
June 29, 2014
paarthurnax

"Ah" shouldn't be used before a consonant like so.

I don't see what the problem is here. There are plenty of casees where "ah" is used before a consonant. "Ahtiid",  "fahliil", "gahvon",  "jeydahk", "nahkip", the list goes on. Can you further explain this?

by hiith
June 29, 2014
paarthurnax

I don't see what the problem is here. There are plenty of casees where "ah" is used before a consonant. "Ahtiid",  "fahliil", "gahvon",  "jeydahk", "nahkip", the list goes on. Can you further explain this?

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 29, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

My bad, I really didn't explan enough.

Properly, ah should not be used mid-syllable. This is the main distinction between ah and aaAh falls at the end of syllables and aa is used in the middle of syllables. In the examples ahtiidfahliilgahvon, and nahkipah falls at the end of the syllable where it gives the opportunity to make /x/.

It also helps divide syllables in some consistent manner. We know that ahtiid is ah+tiidfahliil is fah+liilgah+vonnah+kip, etc. These words could have been spelled like aatiidfaaliilgaavon, or naakip, but this would have broken convention. Nahkip "feed" is a great example because it is likely naak+kip "eat-food," but it was changed to nahkip because of how it's pronounced: nah+kip rather than naak+ip.

Jeydahkahrkand another word, nahl, are examples of atypical spelling. At least in nahl it serves to distinguish it from naal "by." This is getting pretty deep into speculation, but an internal explanation for jeydahk might be that it was originally jeydah, but /x/ became so prominently pronounced at the end of the word that it eventually became jeydahk.

Anyway, a summary: a suffix that causes -aht would be improper since it uses ah in the way that aa should be used. -aht and -aat would ultimately be pronounced the same but -aat stays in line with convention.

by paarthurnax
June 29, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

My bad, I really didn't explan enough.

Properly, ah should not be used mid-syllable. This is the main distinction between ah and aaAh falls at the end of syllables and aa is used in the middle of syllables. In the examples ahtiidfahliilgahvon, and nahkipah falls at the end of the syllable where it gives the opportunity to make /x/.

It also helps divide syllables in some consistent manner. We know that ahtiid is ah+tiidfahliil is fah+liilgah+vonnah+kip, etc. These words could have been spelled like aatiidfaaliilgaavon, or naakip, but this would have broken convention. Nahkip "feed" is a great example because it is likely naak+kip "eat-food," but it was changed to nahkip because of how it's pronounced: nah+kip rather than naak+ip.

Jeydahkahrkand another word, nahl, are examples of atypical spelling. At least in nahl it serves to distinguish it from naal "by." This is getting pretty deep into speculation, but an internal explanation for jeydahk might be that it was originally jeydah, but /x/ became so prominently pronounced at the end of the word that it eventually became jeydahk.

Anyway, a summary: a suffix that causes -aht would be improper since it uses ah in the way that aa should be used. -aht and -aat would ultimately be pronounced the same but -aat stays in line with convention.

hiith
June 30, 2014

Medonik

doesn't "onik" have a completely different meaning of "wise"? ni mindoraan

by hiith
June 30, 2014

Medonik

doesn't "onik" have a completely different meaning of "wise"? ni mindoraan

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.