A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Ahmuldein
September 19, 2014
paarthurnax

@Ahreyt, what notes would you like added? It's non-canon, I can't think of much else to mention.

Krosis! For some reason I must have overlooked the fact that it didn't really require any notes since..well...its non-canon. Thought it was semi-canon krosis.

by Ahmuldein
September 19, 2014
paarthurnax

@Ahreyt, what notes would you like added? It's non-canon, I can't think of much else to mention.

Krosis! For some reason I must have overlooked the fact that it didn't really require any notes since..well...its non-canon. Thought it was semi-canon krosis.

Ahmuldein
September 19, 2014

Agoor

'A mortal in need of burning'? You just put Crematee or something along those lines. I think that you could also simply delete this word, and just say "Jor ko praag ag" If you decide to keep this word there is an error in the notes. My thoughts are, if there isnt a specific word in English, then why in Dovahzul?

by Ahmuldein
September 19, 2014

Agoor

'A mortal in need of burning'? You just put Crematee or something along those lines. I think that you could also simply delete this word, and just say "Jor ko praag ag" If you decide to keep this word there is an error in the notes. My thoughts are, if there isnt a specific word in English, then why in Dovahzul?

Ahmuldein
September 19, 2014

Ahmol

This word is incredibly close to 'husband' could there be a better alternate?

by Ahmuldein
September 19, 2014

Ahmol

This word is incredibly close to 'husband' could there be a better alternate?

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 19, 2014

@Ahmol, good point, edited this to ahmos.

@Agoor, I'm fine with deleting this too, but I would disagree with the reason. "The dov have words that joor do not." There's no reason words should adhere to English. Alternatively, I encourage everyone to think of words that would be fitting for dragons but don't have exact English equivalents.

@Vozahlaas, I think this word should remain as is because joor has many negative connotations. For example, consider the difference in tone between hypothetical words "unmoronic" and "unfoolish." Both ultimately mean "not stupid" or "intelligent," but "unmoronic" would be harder to parse since "moron" is typically so negative.

Similarly, vozahlaas would be a grander or more powerful word than vojoor, in my opinion.

by paarthurnax
September 19, 2014

@Ahmol, good point, edited this to ahmos.

@Agoor, I'm fine with deleting this too, but I would disagree with the reason. "The dov have words that joor do not." There's no reason words should adhere to English. Alternatively, I encourage everyone to think of words that would be fitting for dragons but don't have exact English equivalents.

@Vozahlaas, I think this word should remain as is because joor has many negative connotations. For example, consider the difference in tone between hypothetical words "unmoronic" and "unfoolish." Both ultimately mean "not stupid" or "intelligent," but "unmoronic" would be harder to parse since "moron" is typically so negative.

Similarly, vozahlaas would be a grander or more powerful word than vojoor, in my opinion.

hiith
September 19, 2014
paarthurnax

Even so, could I still submit vojoor as a synonym? I feel like it just... fits. At least to me, anyways.

by hiith
September 19, 2014
paarthurnax

Even so, could I still submit vojoor as a synonym? I feel like it just... fits. At least to me, anyways.

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 19, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

Sure, we could have it as a synonym.

by paarthurnax
September 19, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

Sure, we could have it as a synonym.

dirtmonkeyal
September 20, 2014

Briin: We already have  a canon word for sea. Couldn't we just add ocean to its meaning?

by dirtmonkeyal
September 20, 2014

Briin: We already have  a canon word for sea. Couldn't we just add ocean to its meaning?

Ahmuldein
September 20, 2014

@Paarthurnax,

So, if you decide to keep the word 'agoor' remember the typo in the word notes.

by Ahmuldein
September 20, 2014

@Paarthurnax,

So, if you decide to keep the word 'agoor' remember the typo in the word notes.

hiith
September 20, 2014

Aargron

Could be better with the compounded words reversed -- gronaar -- to better pronunciation.

by hiith
September 20, 2014

Aargron

Could be better with the compounded words reversed -- gronaar -- to better pronunciation.

Foduiiz
September 20, 2014
hiith

Aargron

Too bad because gro and naar are already words. Both canon, too. Gronaar could be confused as bound-summit

by Foduiiz
September 20, 2014
hiith

Aargron

Too bad because gro and naar are already words. Both canon, too. Gronaar could be confused as bound-summit

Ahmuldein
September 21, 2014
Foduiiz
hiith

Aargron

That still might work, plus he does bring up a good point. I think switching them might not be a bad idea.

by Ahmuldein
September 21, 2014
Foduiiz
hiith

Aargron

That still might work, plus he does bring up a good point. I think switching them might not be a bad idea.

Ahmuldein
September 21, 2014

Aam

according to Memrise (the canon course) this means "hmm?" I was simply wondering whether or not this is an error on our part or Memrise

by Ahmuldein
September 21, 2014

Aam

according to Memrise (the canon course) this means "hmm?" I was simply wondering whether or not this is an error on our part or Memrise

Ahmuldein
September 21, 2014

Fruk

This word is a little too close to "fruit" in my opinion and also I believe there are apples in Skyrim. wouldn't the fact that there is fruit in the game make this a semi-canon word?

by Ahmuldein
September 21, 2014

Fruk

This word is a little too close to "fruit" in my opinion and also I believe there are apples in Skyrim. wouldn't the fact that there is fruit in the game make this a semi-canon word?

Foduiiz
September 21, 2014
Ahmuldein

Fruk

That's not what makes a word semi-canon. You're confusing modern with non-canon. It would only be semi-canon if it was based on canon language. 

by Foduiiz
September 21, 2014
Ahmuldein

Fruk

That's not what makes a word semi-canon. You're confusing modern with non-canon. It would only be semi-canon if it was based on canon language. 

hiith
September 22, 2014
Ahmuldein

Aam

This is an error on Memrise. It was misunderstood in the context that it is used in the game. "aam" means "serve".

by hiith
September 22, 2014
Ahmuldein

Aam

This is an error on Memrise. It was misunderstood in the context that it is used in the game. "aam" means "serve".

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.