Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Ahmuldein
September 27, 2014

@Vulsaarkven, This thread is for Word Revisions only, please don't put off topic subjects on the thread

by Ahmuldein
September 27, 2014

@Vulsaarkven, This thread is for Word Revisions only, please don't put off topic subjects on the thread

dirtmonkeyal
September 27, 2014

Could some moderator delete that post? It's pulling up some pop-up playing music.

by dirtmonkeyal
September 27, 2014

Could some moderator delete that post? It's pulling up some pop-up playing music.

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 28, 2014
dirtmonkeyal

Sorry about that, everyone. The post has been removed.

by paarthurnax
September 28, 2014
dirtmonkeyal

Sorry about that, everyone. The post has been removed.

Foduiiz
September 28, 2014
dirtmonkeyal

Fend

Shouldn't this be based off of must? You SHOULD go. You MUST go. Shall/fent is just a more formal way of saying will/fen.

I don't think that works how you think it works. If you want to get really technical, should is an epistemic modal verb and must is a deontic modal verb (in the examples you gave). Here's a wikipedia page on it. 

by Foduiiz
September 28, 2014
dirtmonkeyal

Fend

Shouldn't this be based off of must? You SHOULD go. You MUST go. Shall/fent is just a more formal way of saying will/fen.

I don't think that works how you think it works. If you want to get really technical, should is an epistemic modal verb and must is a deontic modal verb (in the examples you gave). Here's a wikipedia page on it. 

dirtmonkeyal
September 28, 2014
Foduiiz
dirtmonkeyal

Fend

And according to this table in the very same wikipedia page that you sent me, most of the modal verbs in said table (could, should, will, must, can) are epistemic and deontic. Would is only epistemic even though it's seemingly from will which is epistemic and deontic. And can is all three forms, but could is still only epistemic and deontic. And shall is only deontic.

If you want to get really technical, Dovahzul is based off of stupid, crazy English.

by dirtmonkeyal
September 28, 2014
Foduiiz
dirtmonkeyal

Fend

And according to this table in the very same wikipedia page that you sent me, most of the modal verbs in said table (could, should, will, must, can) are epistemic and deontic. Would is only epistemic even though it's seemingly from will which is epistemic and deontic. And can is all three forms, but could is still only epistemic and deontic. And shall is only deontic.

If you want to get really technical, Dovahzul is based off of stupid, crazy English.

Foduiiz
September 29, 2014
dirtmonkeyal 

So what exactly is wrong with how it's set up at the moment?

by Foduiiz
September 29, 2014
dirtmonkeyal 

dirtmonkeyal
September 29, 2014
Foduiiz
dirtmonkeyal 

Exactly what I said in the first post. Shouldn't should be based off of must? I can understand why kunt might be out of the question, but vis/vust, and fen/fund ... so kent/kund?

by dirtmonkeyal
September 29, 2014
Foduiiz
dirtmonkeyal 

Exactly what I said in the first post. Shouldn't should be based off of must? I can understand why kunt might be out of the question, but vis/vust, and fen/fund ... so kent/kund?

Foduiiz
September 30, 2014
dirtmonkeyal
Foduiiz
dirtmonkeyal 

Not unless there's a particular reason for it to be, no. 

by Foduiiz
September 30, 2014
dirtmonkeyal
Foduiiz
dirtmonkeyal 

dirtmonkeyal
October 3, 2014
Foduiiz

I'm sorry for the delayed response, but ... What? What is this non-argument? What is your rebuttal to my reasoning exactly? It's been this way too long so it should stay that way? Fine, I guess. But say that, please?

by dirtmonkeyal
October 3, 2014
Foduiiz

I'm sorry for the delayed response, but ... What? What is this non-argument? What is your rebuttal to my reasoning exactly? It's been this way too long so it should stay that way? Fine, I guess. But say that, please?

Foduiiz
October 3, 2014
dirtmonkeyal
Foduiiz

Krosis, I'm not trying to argue with you!  

You haven't given a reason why should should be based off must. It wasn't an argument, it was my answer to your questions (and they are questions)...

"Shouldn't this be based off of must?"

and...

"Shouldn't should be based off of must?"

by Foduiiz
October 3, 2014
dirtmonkeyal
Foduiiz

Krosis, I'm not trying to argue with you!  

You haven't given a reason why should should be based off must. It wasn't an argument, it was my answer to your questions (and they are questions)...

"Shouldn't this be based off of must?"

and...

"Shouldn't should be based off of must?"

dirtmonkeyal
October 3, 2014

Arguments do not always have arguing. This is a debate/rebuttal sort of thread I had assumed. In any case, I drop my side because I've already found the answer. One that, someone defending the word, could have brought up instead of grammar jargon.

I guess I only ask that people remember that one of Bethesda's original, big problems was making the language too complex.

by dirtmonkeyal
October 3, 2014

Arguments do not always have arguing. This is a debate/rebuttal sort of thread I had assumed. In any case, I drop my side because I've already found the answer. One that, someone defending the word, could have brought up instead of grammar jargon.

I guess I only ask that people remember that one of Bethesda's original, big problems was making the language too complex.

DovahKiinZaan
October 4, 2014

Heyz

Also adjective

by DovahKiinZaan
October 4, 2014

Heyz

Also adjective

Mul klo riik
October 6, 2014

Feyz

What's the difference between this and Bruleyk?

by Mul klo riik
October 6, 2014

Feyz

What's the difference between this and Bruleyk?

hiith
October 6, 2014

Tiiraazom

could be better as "tiirazom" (one less "a")

by hiith
October 6, 2014

Tiiraazom

could be better as "tiirazom" (one less "a")

Mul klo riik
October 6, 2014

Vodrem

Extend the definition to mean unpeacefull, violent. Delete grem.

by Mul klo riik
October 6, 2014

Vodrem

Extend the definition to mean unpeacefull, violent. Delete grem.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.