A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 6, 2014

@Feyz, none that I can tell. I deleted feyz in favor of the semi-canon bruleyk.

@Tiiraazom, edited per your suggestion.

@Vodrem, good suggestion, vodrem could definitely translate to "violence." I deleted grem. As a result, gremak "violent" changed to zovodrem.

by paarthurnax
October 6, 2014

@Feyz, none that I can tell. I deleted feyz in favor of the semi-canon bruleyk.

@Tiiraazom, edited per your suggestion.

@Vodrem, good suggestion, vodrem could definitely translate to "violence." I deleted grem. As a result, gremak "violent" changed to zovodrem.

Velokraan
October 11, 2014

Skein

(I have no problem with the entry in question being kept as "Skein" if the staff deem it suitable even after reading this suggestion) I think that it would be better if we used a semi-canon noun that I concocted known as "Aluhraan" for "Scar" instead of "Skein". This word came from me combining the two words "Alun" (Ever) and "Ahraan" (Wound). I don't intend for it to be used in any way as Everwound or Ever-wound but I want the canon roots to show in the word (The more canon, the better it is right?). Scars are deep and/or severe wounds that can never fully fade or heal (Although it's hinted at in Skyrim that healing a scar is possible since male Orcs may say "Heal away any scars and we're going to have a problem" while being healed by a restoration spell). I hope you make a decision that you're confident about and certain of so that you don't regret it later.

by Velokraan
October 11, 2014

Skein

(I have no problem with the entry in question being kept as "Skein" if the staff deem it suitable even after reading this suggestion) I think that it would be better if we used a semi-canon noun that I concocted known as "Aluhraan" for "Scar" instead of "Skein". This word came from me combining the two words "Alun" (Ever) and "Ahraan" (Wound). I don't intend for it to be used in any way as Everwound or Ever-wound but I want the canon roots to show in the word (The more canon, the better it is right?). Scars are deep and/or severe wounds that can never fully fade or heal (Although it's hinted at in Skyrim that healing a scar is possible since male Orcs may say "Heal away any scars and we're going to have a problem" while being healed by a restoration spell). I hope you make a decision that you're confident about and certain of so that you don't regret it later.

Britvildkro
October 13, 2014

Hahsegol

Suggesting that Geology is changed to Prustsegol "study of earth" and the meaning of Hahsegol is changed to Geologist

by Britvildkro
October 13, 2014

Hahsegol

Suggesting that Geology is changed to Prustsegol "study of earth" and the meaning of Hahsegol is changed to Geologist

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 14, 2014
Britvildkro

Hahsegol

Currently, all "ology" word use hah  as the root, "mind of ____" generally meaning "focus on" or "knowledge of" a topic. The main reasons for this are that hah is short, so it keeps these sorts of words from becoming too long or unwieldy, and it's also canon. Prust is also short, but non-canon.

by paarthurnax
October 14, 2014
Britvildkro

Hahsegol

Currently, all "ology" word use hah  as the root, "mind of ____" generally meaning "focus on" or "knowledge of" a topic. The main reasons for this are that hah is short, so it keeps these sorts of words from becoming too long or unwieldy, and it's also canon. Prust is also short, but non-canon.

Foduiiz
October 16, 2014

Hahsoksehah

Shouldn't that make this hahsehah?

by Foduiiz
October 16, 2014

Hahsoksehah

Shouldn't that make this hahsehah?

Zauniglom
October 16, 2014

Tozeinvu

Add 'impeccable' to the the translation list.

by Zauniglom
October 16, 2014

Tozeinvu

Add 'impeccable' to the the translation list.

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 17, 2014

@Hahsoksehah, technically, but I believe this word was made specifically to avoid that sort of repitition. I don't mind hahsehah too much though.

@Tozeinvu, added definition.

by paarthurnax
October 17, 2014

@Hahsoksehah, technically, but I believe this word was made specifically to avoid that sort of repitition. I don't mind hahsehah too much though.

@Tozeinvu, added definition.

DovahKiinZaan
October 19, 2014

Kel

Could black book also be included in the definition?

by DovahKiinZaan
October 19, 2014

Kel

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 19, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Kel

Negative, kel is canon and specifically refers to an Elder Scroll.

by paarthurnax
October 19, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Kel

Negative, kel is canon and specifically refers to an Elder Scroll.

Mirkrilaar
October 19, 2014

Voroheyrah

I am merely curious as to why this was deleted. I just want to know what is wrong with it so I know for future reference.

by Mirkrilaar
October 19, 2014

Voroheyrah

I am merely curious as to why this was deleted. I just want to know what is wrong with it so I know for future reference.

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 20, 2014
Mirkrilaar

Voroheyrah

Sorry for not mentioning it. Generally name translations for things like cities or deities should be declined. Instead suggest that the name be borrowed, kind of like how "Oblivion" and "Sovngarde" are used as loanwords.

by paarthurnax
October 20, 2014
Mirkrilaar

Voroheyrah

Sorry for not mentioning it. Generally name translations for things like cities or deities should be declined. Instead suggest that the name be borrowed, kind of like how "Oblivion" and "Sovngarde" are used as loanwords.

Mirkrilaar
October 20, 2014
paarthurnax
Mirkrilaar

Voroheyrah

Thank you! I thought I saw Molag Bol as a word and thought this was fine. I must have been seeing things!

by Mirkrilaar
October 20, 2014
paarthurnax
Mirkrilaar

Voroheyrah

Thank you! I thought I saw Molag Bol as a word and thought this was fine. I must have been seeing things!

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 20, 2014
Mirkrilaar
paarthurnax
Mirkrilaar

Voroheyrah

There are sometimes exceptions. For example, Peryite has his own name since he takes the form of a dragon.

by paarthurnax
October 20, 2014
Mirkrilaar
paarthurnax
Mirkrilaar

Voroheyrah

There are sometimes exceptions. For example, Peryite has his own name since he takes the form of a dragon.

DovahKiinZaan
October 22, 2014

Lovtiid

Is it modern Eg- Update diary Update armour and weapons

by DovahKiinZaan
October 22, 2014

Lovtiid

Foduiiz
October 22, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Lovtiid

I agree. Updates don't have to be software related. 

by Foduiiz
October 22, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Lovtiid

I agree. Updates don't have to be software related. 

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.