Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  100  101  102  103 > >>  

DovahKiinZaan
December 30, 2014
I think draaf is meant to be an insult or swear specific.
by DovahKiinZaan
December 30, 2014
I think draaf is meant to be an insult or swear specific.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014
It's not, I can add those to the definition.
by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014
It's not, I can add those to the definition.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014

Volk

There are no canon words that end in "lk," so I think this could change. Perhaps to something related to "Haal," "hand," or "Gron," "bind."

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014

Volk

There are no canon words that end in "lk," so I think this could change. Perhaps to something related to "Haal," "hand," or "Gron," "bind."

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014

I've added the above definitions, and formally edited for to fraan, along with its related words.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014

I've added the above definitions, and formally edited for to fraan, along with its related words.

Ahmuldein
December 30, 2014

I thought we had removed words like draaf...guess not

by Ahmuldein
December 30, 2014

I thought we had removed words like draaf...guess not

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

A word for 'Thought' could possibly be 'Maan', based on the word 'Dahmaan', or 'Remember'. If it were 'Thought' it would make sense because 'Dahmaan' would be 'Dah Maan', which would translate to 'Push Thought'

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

A word for 'Thought' could possibly be 'Maan', based on the word 'Dahmaan', or 'Remember'. If it were 'Thought' it would make sense because 'Dahmaan' would be 'Dah Maan', which would translate to 'Push Thought'

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Qaar

This could possibly be promoted to semi-canon status if qaar were related to qahnaar, to vanquish. Someone who has vanquished something may feel entitled to whatever it is they conquered.

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Qaar

This could possibly be promoted to semi-canon status if qaar were related to qahnaar, to vanquish. Someone who has vanquished something may feel entitled to whatever it is they conquered.

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014
paarthurnax

Volk

Maybe the canon word lon, "fist," might be expanded to include this definition.

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014
paarthurnax

Volk

Maybe the canon word lon, "fist," might be expanded to include this definition.

hiith
December 30, 2014

Urah

Shouldn't this be modern?

by hiith
December 30, 2014

Urah

Shouldn't this be modern?

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Quethsegolahrol

There should be a space between Quethsegol and Ahrol. I checked in the in-game book Holdings of Jarl Gjalund, where the word can be found.

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Quethsegolahrol

There should be a space between Quethsegol and Ahrol. I checked in the in-game book Holdings of Jarl Gjalund, where the word can be found.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014

@Qaar, that might be a bit of a stretch. Or at the very least, I don't think it's close enough to the original word to warrant semi-canon status.

@Volk, objectively that's not a bad idea. The main problem I see is that "fist" is a rather, well, different verb in English. From a less crude standpoint, dragons can't really form fists, but they can grasp, so I'm not sure it's the most natural word for it.

@Urah, you're right. Since urah doesn't fit the modern word requirements, I've changed it to tiidsinak or "time fingers" unless someone has perhaps a better suggestion.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014

@Qaar, that might be a bit of a stretch. Or at the very least, I don't think it's close enough to the original word to warrant semi-canon status.

@Volk, objectively that's not a bad idea. The main problem I see is that "fist" is a rather, well, different verb in English. From a less crude standpoint, dragons can't really form fists, but they can grasp, so I'm not sure it's the most natural word for it.

@Urah, you're right. Since urah doesn't fit the modern word requirements, I've changed it to tiidsinak or "time fingers" unless someone has perhaps a better suggestion.

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

@Volk, those are very fair points. Dragons don't really have hands, either, so I'm not sure if haal would be appropriate. Something related to gron might be our best bet.

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

@Volk, those are very fair points. Dragons don't really have hands, either, so I'm not sure if haal would be appropriate. Something related to gron might be our best bet.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014
Aaliizah

Quethsegolahrol

Thanks for the correction! The misspelling (I believe intentional on Bethesda's part) is actually a really interesting bit of information, because it sheds light on the pronunciation. This was a scribe writing down the declarations of the Jarl. He probably didn't know the dragon language very well, so he hears the "w" sound that comes after "q" and adds a "u" that shouldn't be there.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014
Aaliizah

Quethsegolahrol

Thanks for the correction! The misspelling (I believe intentional on Bethesda's part) is actually a really interesting bit of information, because it sheds light on the pronunciation. This was a scribe writing down the declarations of the Jarl. He probably didn't know the dragon language very well, so he hears the "w" sound that comes after "q" and adds a "u" that shouldn't be there.

hiith
December 30, 2014
paarthurnax

Since urah doesn't fit the modern word requirements, I've changed it to tiidsinak or "time fingers" unless someone has perhaps a better suggestion.

Maybe something like "tiidmindokiik", "time-knower", or "tiidfuniik", "time-teller". "tiidsinak" kinda sounds like it's referring more to the hands than the clock itself, but I'm honestly not sure what it should be.

by hiith
December 30, 2014
paarthurnax

Since urah doesn't fit the modern word requirements, I've changed it to tiidsinak or "time fingers" unless someone has perhaps a better suggestion.

Maybe something like "tiidmindokiik", "time-knower", or "tiidfuniik", "time-teller". "tiidsinak" kinda sounds like it's referring more to the hands than the clock itself, but I'm honestly not sure what it should be.

hiith
December 30, 2014

Quethsegol Ahrol

"qethsegol" in the description is missing an "l"

by hiith
December 30, 2014

Quethsegol Ahrol

"qethsegol" in the description is missing an "l"

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.