A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  100  101  102  103 > >>  

hiith
January 2, 2015
paarthurnax

It's a really broad word for anything you can store something in. I'm open to changing. since it's kind of out there.

I think it should be seperated into one word that referres, specifically, to furniture, and another for "that which contains"

by hiith
January 2, 2015
paarthurnax

It's a really broad word for anything you can store something in. I'm open to changing. since it's kind of out there.

I think it should be seperated into one word that referres, specifically, to furniture, and another for "that which contains"

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 2, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

@Vuril, ... I wouldn't mind seeing this word change due to its closeness to the canon vur "valor."

@Faan, ... I think the closeness is fine, given canon words like gaan "stamina" and graan "to rout."

It can either be close or it can't

Make up your mind, man!

Those are very different situations. Vuril is identical to vur with an additional ending. It makes it seem like the word for "well" comes from the word for "valor," which it doesn't. Faan and fraan are similar but not so identical that anyone would mistake them for being related words.

by paarthurnax
January 2, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

@Vuril, ... I wouldn't mind seeing this word change due to its closeness to the canon vur "valor."

@Faan, ... I think the closeness is fine, given canon words like gaan "stamina" and graan "to rout."

It can either be close or it can't

Make up your mind, man!

Those are very different situations. Vuril is identical to vur with an additional ending. It makes it seem like the word for "well" comes from the word for "valor," which it doesn't. Faan and fraan are similar but not so identical that anyone would mistake them for being related words.

hiith
January 2, 2015
paarthurnax

Well, there are a couple of canonical examples of words being an unrelated extension of another, like "bah" and "bahlaan" or "bahlok", "bo" and "bodiis", "dah" and "dahmaan", "diiv" and "diivon", and so on. So I don't think that "vur" and "vuril" are an issue.

by hiith
January 2, 2015
paarthurnax

Well, there are a couple of canonical examples of words being an unrelated extension of another, like "bah" and "bahlaan" or "bahlok", "bo" and "bodiis", "dah" and "dahmaan", "diiv" and "diivon", and so on. So I don't think that "vur" and "vuril" are an issue.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 2, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

That's a good point. It'd be a bigger issue if it was a longer word, like dovah and some hypothetical word dovahil that meant something entirely unrelated.

by paarthurnax
January 2, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

That's a good point. It'd be a bigger issue if it was a longer word, like dovah and some hypothetical word dovahil that meant something entirely unrelated.

Aaliizah
January 2, 2015

Sendaar

This word is pretty similar to pindaar, and considering how similar the definitions are (plain and desert), perhaps we could give sendaar a root in pindaar?

by Aaliizah
January 2, 2015

Sendaar

This word is pretty similar to pindaar, and considering how similar the definitions are (plain and desert), perhaps we could give sendaar a root in pindaar?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 2, 2015
Aaliizah

Sendaar

Sounds good, added this under pindaar and made it semi-canon.

by paarthurnax
January 2, 2015
Aaliizah

Sendaar

Sounds good, added this under pindaar and made it semi-canon.

Aaliizah
January 3, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

I, myself, have always imagined some of those words being related. Hunger literally meaning wrath-sky, borrow meaning fly-mine (there's an s, but still), etc. But that's just me. And you are still very right; there are a lot of unrelated canon words in one another.

by Aaliizah
January 3, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

I, myself, have always imagined some of those words being related. Hunger literally meaning wrath-sky, borrow meaning fly-mine (there's an s, but still), etc. But that's just me. And you are still very right; there are a lot of unrelated canon words in one another.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 3, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

Oskad has been deleted and a new word has taken its place, bexaat, meaning "container" or "something that's opened." A separate word is up for grabs for the furniture-related definitions.

by paarthurnax
January 3, 2015
hiith
paarthurnax

Oskad has been deleted and a new word has taken its place, bexaat, meaning "container" or "something that's opened." A separate word is up for grabs for the furniture-related definitions.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 3, 2015

Ahk

Speaking of words that are too similar, this treads on the toes of both "Ah," "hunter," and "Aak," "guide." Maybe something from "Ful," "so," like "Pahful," or something from "Med," "like/similar."

by paarthurnax
January 3, 2015

Ahk

Speaking of words that are too similar, this treads on the toes of both "Ah," "hunter," and "Aak," "guide." Maybe something from "Ful," "so," like "Pahful," or something from "Med," "like/similar."

hiith
January 3, 2015

Zahraan

clashes with "genil"

I think...

by hiith
January 3, 2015

Zahraan

clashes with "genil"

I think...

hiith
January 3, 2015

Vosotiiv

synonym: disappoint (from root)

by hiith
January 3, 2015

Vosotiiv

synonym: disappoint (from root)

hiith
January 3, 2015

Qiilaan

Would there need to be a separate word for "curtsey"?

by hiith
January 3, 2015

Qiilaan

Would there need to be a separate word for "curtsey"?

hiith
January 3, 2015

Aanvorey

Perhaps this could just be combined with "vorey"?

by hiith
January 3, 2015

Aanvorey

Perhaps this could just be combined with "vorey"?

hiith
January 4, 2015

Rilorpel

Could be better as "ripelgah": "electric journal". Or something like that.

by hiith
January 4, 2015

Rilorpel

Could be better as "ripelgah": "electric journal". Or something like that.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 4, 2015

@Zahraan, since I'm looking into removed all the ge- words anyway, I deleted genil.

@Vosotiiv, added "disappoint."

@Qiilaan, probably, but I think qiilaan is an adequate enough translation.

@Aanvorey, sure, this actually makes a lot of sense because aan is usually cut from speech, so a word like aanvorey wouldn't likely happen.

@Rilorpel, I think this is fine as is.

by paarthurnax
January 4, 2015

@Zahraan, since I'm looking into removed all the ge- words anyway, I deleted genil.

@Vosotiiv, added "disappoint."

@Qiilaan, probably, but I think qiilaan is an adequate enough translation.

@Aanvorey, sure, this actually makes a lot of sense because aan is usually cut from speech, so a word like aanvorey wouldn't likely happen.

@Rilorpel, I think this is fine as is.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.