Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  75  76  77  78  79  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Liis
Administrator
April 30, 2015

@To,

It just bothers me how close it sounds to the English equivalent. That's the only reason.
by Liis
April 30, 2015

@To,

It just bothers me how close it sounds to the English equivalent. That's the only reason.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2015
Liis

@To,

No more close than words like wo or viing. It comes from Old Norse þó if that helps.

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2015
Liis

@To,

No more close than words like wo or viing. It comes from Old Norse þó if that helps.

Liis
Administrator
April 30, 2015

Yeah that helps

by Liis
April 30, 2015

Yeah that helps

Liis
Administrator
April 30, 2015

Fein

Perhaps a revision to avoid closeness to "feim"?

by Liis
April 30, 2015

Fein

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2015
Liis

Fein

Agreed, any suggestions? Maybe something from wah "to/against"? Or a unique word.

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2015
Liis

Fein

Agreed, any suggestions? Maybe something from wah "to/against"? Or a unique word.

Liis
Administrator
April 30, 2015

@Fein,

Perhaps 2 birds with 1 stone: Wey or Weyzah = Than, Qey = Book?
by Liis
April 30, 2015

@Fein,

Perhaps 2 birds with 1 stone: Wey or Weyzah = Than, Qey = Book?

Maakrindah
April 30, 2015

I have a suggestion regarding "Baarkei". Personally I like the sound of it, but I wonder if it could be replaced with "Vofeim" or something similar, to suggest that the associated noun is unable to fade or blend into the background; something that cannot avoid catching the eye. "Baarkei" could still be used, but maybe it could have a different definition than it currently has.

by Maakrindah
April 30, 2015

I have a suggestion regarding "Baarkei". Personally I like the sound of it, but I wonder if it could be replaced with "Vofeim" or something similar, to suggest that the associated noun is unable to fade or blend into the background; something that cannot avoid catching the eye. "Baarkei" could still be used, but maybe it could have a different definition than it currently has.

@Baarkei,

Vofeim would make a verb. Lit "to unfade". The prefix you would use to make "unfadeable" would be Nis- to make "Nisfeim".

I favour in keeping Baarkei just as it is, for it's the perfect word with the perfect suffix. It doesn't seem necessary for another definition.

by Liis
April 30, 2015

@Baarkei,

Vofeim would make a verb. Lit "to unfade". The prefix you would use to make "unfadeable" would be Nis- to make "Nisfeim".

I favour in keeping Baarkei just as it is, for it's the perfect word with the perfect suffix. It doesn't seem necessary for another definition.

Maakrindah
April 30, 2015

So what if Vofeim becomes the reflexive verb for "become apparent/obvious" or perhaps the verb for what "stick out like a sore thumb" is in English, denoting a different magnitude than "baarkei" alone....these are just some thoughts.

by Maakrindah
April 30, 2015

So what if Vofeim becomes the reflexive verb for "become apparent/obvious" or perhaps the verb for what "stick out like a sore thumb" is in English, denoting a different magnitude than "baarkei" alone....these are just some thoughts.

Liis
Administrator
April 30, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

Very good thought, but two things:

1. It wouldn't be a reflexive verb.

2. The future word Emerge from The Jarl's Bounty would suffice, don't you think?
by Liis
April 30, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

Very good thought, but two things:

1. It wouldn't be a reflexive verb.

2. The future word Emerge from The Jarl's Bounty would suffice, don't you think?

Liis
Administrator
April 30, 2015

Bovut

Perhaps "Bolom"? "Lom" meaning water.

by Liis
April 30, 2015

Bovut

Maakrindah
April 30, 2015

@Liis I don't believe that 'emerge' and 'stick out like a sore thumb' have the same connotation or meaning. I see what you are getting at, but you have been equating the concept with others that are different.

by Maakrindah
April 30, 2015

@Liis I don't believe that 'emerge' and 'stick out like a sore thumb' have the same connotation or meaning. I see what you are getting at, but you have been equating the concept with others that are different.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2015
Liis

Bovut

This word refers to "dive" as in "swoop down," not specifically "to dive underwater."

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2015
Liis

Bovut

This word refers to "dive" as in "swoop down," not specifically "to dive underwater."

Liis
Administrator
May 1, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

If anything, using the prefix ge- to make "Gebaarkei" would make it a verb. Essentially a word for "to make obvious".
by Liis
May 1, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

If anything, using the prefix ge- to make "Gebaarkei" would make it a verb. Essentially a word for "to make obvious".

Maakrindah
May 1, 2015

@Liis Is there an affix that would add the concept of 'self' to the mix, such as "to make oneself obvious"?

by Maakrindah
May 1, 2015

@Liis Is there an affix that would add the concept of 'self' to the mix, such as "to make oneself obvious"?

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  75  76  77  78  79  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.