Liis

Wahlaaran

Perhaps Wahluv with the -uv suffix?

Yes, that makes more sense.

Liis
Administrator
May 2, 2015
@Cinnamon Tiger,

The suffix -maar can create reflexive pronouns, but all the pronouns we need are seemingly already created.

by Liis
May 2, 2015
@Cinnamon Tiger,

The suffix -maar can create reflexive pronouns, but all the pronouns we need are seemingly already created.

Maakrindah
May 2, 2015
So what about reflexive verbs? How are they expressed without reflexive pronouns? Are the pronouns necessary for reflexive verbs to be expressed?
Could a variation of "-maar" be used on verbs the way it is on pronouns? For instance, in the modern verb 'shave' such as 'I shaved this morning', the reflexive part is implied in the verb. Do we need to rely on pronouns and context, or could we make exceptions for verbs that are inherently reflexive?
by Maakrindah
May 2, 2015
So what about reflexive verbs? How are they expressed without reflexive pronouns? Are the pronouns necessary for reflexive verbs to be expressed?

Could a variation of "-maar" be used on verbs the way it is on pronouns? For instance, in the modern verb 'shave' such as 'I shaved this morning', the reflexive part is implied in the verb. Do we need to rely on pronouns and context, or could we make exceptions for verbs that are inherently reflexive?

Liis
Administrator
May 2, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

You'd have to rely on pronouns and context. Dovahzul likes to rely on context a lot of the time. Sure there could be a affix for reflexive verbs, but it'd be unnecessary. Like how there's no affix to make a word an adverb.
by Liis
May 2, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

You'd have to rely on pronouns and context. Dovahzul likes to rely on context a lot of the time. Sure there could be a affix for reflexive verbs, but it'd be unnecessary. Like how there's no affix to make a word an adverb.

Maakrindah
May 2, 2015

@Liis. Thank you, I am glad for the clarity. I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been.

by Maakrindah
May 2, 2015

@Liis. Thank you, I am glad for the clarity. I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been.

Liis
Administrator
May 3, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

No problem! Zu'u freya
by Liis
May 3, 2015

@Cinnamon Tiger,

No problem! Zu'u freya

hiith
May 3, 2015

Nilz

Doesn't seem very dragon-y, and I'm not sure what it has to do with a void.

by hiith
May 3, 2015

Nilz

Doesn't seem very dragon-y, and I'm not sure what it has to do with a void.

hiith
May 3, 2015

Nil

Also, how do we know this is a noun? The only mention of this word that I could find is in the Prima Games Guide site (which doesn't give the part of speech), and it seems more likely (to me) that this would be an adjective.

by hiith
May 3, 2015

Nil

Also, how do we know this is a noun? The only mention of this word that I could find is in the Prima Games Guide site (which doesn't give the part of speech), and it seems more likely (to me) that this would be an adjective.

Maakrindah
May 3, 2015

@hiith Nilz means "cleanse/purify" correct? So think of a vacuum cleaner, which uses suction to clean up a mess, or alternatively, the concept of how clean a void would be. I don't think it is physically possible to be cleaner than a void.

by Maakrindah
May 3, 2015

@hiith Nilz means "cleanse/purify" correct? So think of a vacuum cleaner, which uses suction to clean up a mess, or alternatively, the concept of how clean a void would be. I don't think it is physically possible to be cleaner than a void.

hiith
May 3, 2015
Cinnamon Tiger

It's "purge/purify". "Purge" actually makes sense, as in "to make void", but "to purify" isn't the same. And I don't think that dragons would equated voids with cleanliness, much less purification.

by hiith
May 3, 2015
Cinnamon Tiger

It's "purge/purify". "Purge" actually makes sense, as in "to make void", but "to purify" isn't the same. And I don't think that dragons would equated voids with cleanliness, much less purification.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 3, 2015
hiith

Nil

Until we know further, it is equally likely to be a noun or adjective.

I agree, nilz should be changed. I think the root should remain nil, or something like vobein "un-foul" is also possible.

by paarthurnax
May 3, 2015
hiith

Nil

I agree, nilz should be changed. I think the root should remain nil, or something like vobein "un-foul" is also possible.

hiith
May 3, 2015
paarthurnax

Perhaps we could add a note?

Vobein sounds great to me.

by hiith
May 3, 2015
paarthurnax

Perhaps we could add a note?

Vobein sounds great to me.

hiith
May 3, 2015

Tren

Modern?

by hiith
May 3, 2015

Tren

Modern?

hiith
May 4, 2015

Gahviik

synonyms: give up/in

by hiith
May 4, 2015

Gahviik

synonyms: give up/in

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  76  77  78  79  80  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.