Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 21, 2015
Liis

@paarthurnax,

Really? Where?

http://www.primagames.com/games/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/primaguides/292/gameplay/8311/1

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Whirlwind_Sprint

This is the only occurence of the word. Note its use as the possessive verb "to have," not the tense-forming one that lost should be.

William Congreve doesn't exist in The Elder Scrolls universe as far as I'm aware, so ignoring the reference, here are some possible explanations:

1. Loost is a more formal version of lost, thus "hath" is given as the closest translation.
  2. Loost is a conjugation of lost specific to third person singular, and "hath" is given as the closest translation (rather than "has") to evoke a sense of archaism.
  3. Loost is a mistake on the part of the Nord who wrote this particular Word Wall, or is specific to a Nordic adaptation/dialect of the language.

With only one occurence, it's hard to say what exactly it is meant to be. It's there, and it's canon, so it's in the dictionary to stay. On the flip side, I wouldn't recommend using it until we understand more about where loost comes from.

by paarthurnax
June 21, 2015
Liis

@paarthurnax,

Really? Where?

http://www.primagames.com/games/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/primaguides/292/gameplay/8311/1

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Whirlwind_Sprint

This is the only occurence of the word. Note its use as the possessive verb "to have," not the tense-forming one that lost should be.

William Congreve doesn't exist in The Elder Scrolls universe as far as I'm aware, so ignoring the reference, here are some possible explanations:

1. Loost is a more formal version of lost, thus "hath" is given as the closest translation.
  2. Loost is a conjugation of lost specific to third person singular, and "hath" is given as the closest translation (rather than "has") to evoke a sense of archaism.
  3. Loost is a mistake on the part of the Nord who wrote this particular Word Wall, or is specific to a Nordic adaptation/dialect of the language.

With only one occurence, it's hard to say what exactly it is meant to be. It's there, and it's canon, so it's in the dictionary to stay. On the flip side, I wouldn't recommend using it until we understand more about where loost comes from.

Maakrindah
June 21, 2015

Biizlovaas

Can we add to 'Biizlovaas' the translations 'Treble' and 'Soprano' in addition to 'Piccolo' or will 'Treble/Soprano' be a separate word?

by Maakrindah
June 21, 2015

Biizlovaas

Can we add to 'Biizlovaas' the translations 'Treble' and 'Soprano' in addition to 'Piccolo' or will 'Treble/Soprano' be a separate word?

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 22, 2015
Maakrindah

Biizlovaas

This word refers to the instrument "piccolo," correct?

by paarthurnax
June 22, 2015
Maakrindah

Biizlovaas

This word refers to the instrument "piccolo," correct?

Maakrindah
June 22, 2015

@paarthurnax No, it's the musical range that I intended to indicate. I typed Treble and Soprano before Piccolo in the submission.

If you like, Biizlovaas can be the instrument and another word can be used for the uppermost musical range. The only reason I didn't want to enter it as the instrument was because I was trying to minimize the words used to describe these things.

Perhaps it could be Piccolo (the instrument) as a noun, and Treble/Soprano/Piccolo as an adjective. What are your thoughts?

by Maakrindah
June 22, 2015

@paarthurnax No, it's the musical range that I intended to indicate. I typed Treble and Soprano before Piccolo in the submission.

If you like, Biizlovaas can be the instrument and another word can be used for the uppermost musical range. The only reason I didn't want to enter it as the instrument was because I was trying to minimize the words used to describe these things.

Perhaps it could be Piccolo (the instrument) as a noun, and Treble/Soprano/Piccolo as an adjective. What are your thoughts?

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 22, 2015
Maakrindah

My mistake, I was picturing the instrument. There is the existing word lokhonaat (lit. "sky-sound") for "treble". I like the idea of a combined noun-adjective. We could replace lokhonaat and use biizlovaas for that.

by paarthurnax
June 22, 2015
Maakrindah

My mistake, I was picturing the instrument. There is the existing word lokhonaat (lit. "sky-sound") for "treble". I like the idea of a combined noun-adjective. We could replace lokhonaat and use biizlovaas for that.

Maakrindah
June 22, 2015

@paarthurnax That sounds good to me.

by Maakrindah
June 22, 2015

@paarthurnax That sounds good to me.

Liis
Administrator
June 23, 2015

Gronhah

Expand definition to Obsession.

by Liis
June 23, 2015

Gronhah

Expand definition to Obsession.

Liis
Administrator
June 23, 2015

Votivutaal

It seems that this word I made 2 months ago has already existed for a long time.
Requesting deletion of my authority.

by Liis
June 23, 2015

Votivutaal

It seems that this word I made 2 months ago has already existed for a long time.
Requesting deletion of my authority.

Liis
Administrator
June 23, 2015

Fusaaviik

Abductor*

by Liis
June 23, 2015

Fusaaviik

Abductor*

Liis
Administrator
June 23, 2015

Noraasik

Maybe a deletion in favour of Noraas and add Convict to Noraas definition.

by Liis
June 23, 2015

Noraasik

Maybe a deletion in favour of Noraas and add Convict to Noraas definition.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 23, 2015

Turguld

Suggest changing this to "Malspaan," or "little-shield." There's no reason "Turguld" ("buckler") should be so close to "Turgun" ("bucket").

by paarthurnax
June 23, 2015

Turguld

Suggest changing this to "Malspaan," or "little-shield." There's no reason "Turguld" ("buckler") should be so close to "Turgun" ("bucket").

Liis
Administrator
June 23, 2015

@Turguld,

I highly agree.

by Liis
June 23, 2015

@Turguld,

I highly agree.

Liis
Administrator
June 24, 2015

Olqeinaas

Change spelling to Olqeinuv for use of the suffix "-uv".

by Liis
June 24, 2015

Olqeinaas

Change spelling to Olqeinuv for use of the suffix "-uv".

Liis
Administrator
June 24, 2015

Oblisiik

Should be a noun, not a verb.

by Liis
June 24, 2015

Oblisiik

Should be a noun, not a verb.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 24, 2015

Lusoz

This seems like a minor quibble, but I think there's potential in a semi-canon word that derives from "Spaan," "shield," similar to the German "Schildkröte" (lit. "shield-toad").

by paarthurnax
June 24, 2015

Lusoz

This seems like a minor quibble, but I think there's potential in a semi-canon word that derives from "Spaan," "shield," similar to the German "Schildkröte" (lit. "shield-toad").

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.